Our world class team
We’ve put together a world-renowned team of physicians and scientists — who were central to historic breakthroughs in cellular therapy — to increase the number of patients we can help, further development of next-generation therapies, and speed our ability to bring game-changing, emerging treatments to the patients who need them.
- Renier Brentjens, MD, PhD, led some of the first studies 20 years ago that proved gene-engineered T-cell therapy could be effective against cancer.
- Marco Davila, MD, partnered with Dr. Brentjens to develop some of the first chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapies. Their work led to a groundbreaking trial for patients with B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and other discoveries that paved the way for the first FDA approvals for CAR T-cell therapies for cancer in 2017.
- Brian Betts, MD, whose expertise and research in stem cell transplantation and T-cell therapies has led to new strategies incorporating both approaches to improve effectiveness and safety of stem cell transplantation.
Our state-of-the-art center
We are designated by the National Cancer Institute as one of the nation’s elite comprehensive cancer centers, and the only one in the state outside of NYC.
- Roswell Park holds these distinctions:
- Certified by the Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT) as both an adoptive cellular therapy program and a bone marrow transplant (BMT) program.
- Accredited by the National Marrow Donor Program
- Approved transplant center by the BMT Clinical Trial Network
- Named a Blue Distinction Center for both Transplant and Cellular Immunotherapy – CAR-T
- One-of-a-kind pediatric program. Pediatric patients receive care through a joint program with John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital of Buffalo, combining the expertise of two premier specialty centers — the region's only stand-alone children's hospital and comprehensive cancer center — to offer world class care right here in Western New York.
- Bill and Jane Green Transplant & Cellular Therapy Center. A beautiful, modern facility opened in 2021 on the 6th floor of the hospital. The ambulatory clinic features 12 larger rooms to support outpatient services and procedures, increased infusion space, and enhanced privacy in both shared and common areas.
Improved outcomes for bone marrow or stem cell transplant
We use the latest strategies and technologies for optimizing survival and cure rates and decreasing risk for complications. Some of these include:
- Donor selection criteria. We prioritize donor age when considering various factors in addition to HLA matching to find the most suitable donor for you Roswell Park has special expertise in transplant for patients with donors who are not fully matched.
- Treatment to prevent complications. We provide key preventive treatments as part of transplant process that significantly reduce risk for graft versus host disease and other side effects.
- Reduced inpatient stays. We make every effort to taper and limit the duration of immune suppression, which improves transplant success, and allows you to return home sooner, improving your quality of life.
Integrated support for the road ahead
We’ve been caring for cancer patients for more than 125 years, and we focus on you and not just your cancer. We offer a comprehensive range of support services including nutrition counseling, physical therapy, spiritual care, mental health counseling, music, art, and pet therapy, and more. Highlights include:
- Medical Concierge Service to streamline care and logistics for out-of-town and international patients.
- Transplant orientation. A formalized program to guide, prepare and support patients and their caregivers for the transplant process.
- The 11 Day Power Play Cancer Resource Center provides a welcoming place for you and your family to find information, support, resources and assistance to comfort and guide you.
- Young Adult Cancer Program to focus on the unique needs of patients in their 20s and 30s.