Our world class center
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center is designated by the National Cancer Institute as one of the nation’s elite — one of a select group that meet rigorous standards for quality cancer care and pioneering research and educational missions — and we’re the only one in the state outside of New York City.
- Moshim Kukar, MD, is a leader in the treatment of esophageal cancer. He serves on the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) panel that creates the treatment guidelines for esophageal and esophagogastric cancer used around the world.
- Sarbajit Mukherjee, MD, MS, is a nationally-known medical oncologist in esophageal cancer. He serves on several national and international guidelines panels including the NCCN and American Society of Clinical Oncology, received major grant funding from the NCCN and the Department of Defense to conduct clinical trials in esophageal cancer, and is involved in a national esophageal cancer advocacy and awareness campaigns as a member of the board of directors of the Esophageal Cancer Action Network.
Our cutting-edge therapies
We offer treatments at the forefront of cancer care, plus clinicians with the knowledge and experience to use them. Your cancer care plan may include:
- Advanced endoscopic treatments, such as photodynamic therapy, endoscopic resection and radiofrequency ablation, that allow some patients to avoid a major operation.
- Robotic surgery from a high-volume center. Roswell Park performs the greatest number of these complex operations for esophageal and esophagogastric junction cancer in the state.
- The latest emerging immunotherapies — many available only through clinical trials — are important options for many people with esophageal cancer.
Quality, comprehensive care
We provide multidisciplinary cancer care that integrates the expertise from gastrointestinal and thoracic surgeons, medical and radiation oncologists, pathologists, diagnostic radiologists, and gastroenterologists who focus on patients with esophageal and esophagogastric junction cancers. Roswell Park cancer care includes:
- A wide range of supportive services to care for you and not just your cancer, including nutrition services, physical, occupational and speech therapy, counseling, pain management, spiritual care, tobacco cessation, acupuncture, art, music and pet therapy programs and more.
- Our Survivorship Center that focuses on patients who have completed treatment to address new or ongoing effects and help you aim for a higher level of life-long wellness.