Ranked among the nation’s top cancer hospitals by U.S. News & World Report
Quality Oncology Practice Initiative (QOPI) Certification from the American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
3,239 employees, including 296 faculty members and 617 nurses
Hospital Admissions: 4,442
Outpatient Visits: 201,491
Patients Under Active Care: 31,904
Patient Origin: 44 U.S. states, 5 foreign countries
Number of Beds: 133
Average Length of Stay: 8.6 days
Grants/Contracts: $81.9 million
Funded Research Projects: 542
Academic Affiliation: State University of New York at Buffalo
License Agreements: 88
U.S. Patents: 64
(Figures current as of Fiscal Year 2015)
Seals of Approval
Roswell Park Cancer Institute is a member of several prestigious organizations. Please select a link for more information.
Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI) is the only upstate New York facility to hold the National Cancer Institute designation of "Comprehensive Cancer Center" and one of 45 such centers in the United States. This designation means that a cancer center's combined research, treatment and educational programs have weathered extensive peer review, met rigorous national standards, and made fundamental contributions to reducing the cancer burden.
Since 1974 Roswell Park has been recognized by the NCI as a Comprehensive Cancer Center. It was the nation's first, has served as a national model and is the only one in Upstate New York.
RPCI is also a member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN), an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers. A not-for-profit organization, the NCCN brings together the best minds in science to engineer continuous quality improvements in cancer care; improves the effectiveness of cancer care delivery through the ongoing collection and analysis of outcome data on a national basis; enhances communications and collaboration among member institutions; offers access to the latest, most promising clinical trials; and provides best practice guidelines and measurement tools.
Roswell Park has achieved accreditation from the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO) as a result of its demonstrated compliance with the Joint Commission's nationally recognized health care standards.
Accreditations, Certifications & Membership
RPCI holds accreditations or certifications from many organizations, including:
- Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
- Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education – for Medical and Surgical Oncology Training Programs
- American Dental Association – Dentistry and Maxillofacial Prosthetics
- American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Certification for Quality Oncology Practice Initiatives (QOPI) for Medical Oncology Programs
- Association for the Accreditation of Human Research Protection Programs
- Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care International (AAALAC International)
- Association of American Blood Banks
- Blue Distinction Center for Complex and Rare Cancers
- Blue Distinction Center for Transplants
- Cancer Immunotherapy Trials Network Member (CITN)
- Commission on Cancer of the American College of Surgeons
- Foundation for the Accreditation of Cellular Therapy (FACT)
- National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN)
- National Marrow Donor Program
- The Joint Commission
- The Joint Commission Certification for Palliative Care