The Pastoral Care Department is an interfaith department supporting the concept of holistic medicine. This concept recognizes the integration of spiritual, emotional, social, psychological and physical care as necessary for the health of the whole person. Working collaboratively with other health care professionals, chaplains provide spiritual care to all persons in the Institute regardless of religious affiliation.
Description of Department Services
The diagnosis of cancer often carries with it significant and sometimes overwhelming stress. At such times, it is natural to look to others for support.
- The chaplains in the Pastoral Care Department are familiar with, and sensitive to, the issues that accompany illness, and will respect the individual beliefs and preferences of you and your family in dealing with your illness.
- Chaplains provide spiritual care to all persons regardless of religious affiliation. You do not have to belong to a faith congregation or even consider yourself religious to request a chaplain. We are ready to visit with you and your loved ones, and hope to be of service to you while you are at Roswell Park Cancer Institute.
If You Would Like a Visit
- Chaplains visit inpatients and outpatients Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. If you would like to visit with a chaplain, please call extension 8051, or ask your physician, nurse or other member of your Roswell Park health care team to make the request for you.
- Chaplains are also available 24 hours a day to respond to the urgent spiritual and emotional needs of patients and families.
Chaplains work with physicians, nurses and other members of the psychosocial oncology team to ensure the total care of patients and their families. They provide pastoral counseling and minister to the spiritual, emotional and psychosocial needs of patients, family members and friends at all stages of the treatment process.
- Protestant and Roman Catholic Chaplains provide sacraments, spiritual counseling and religious literature upon request. A community Rabbi and Jewish Chaplain are available to help with rituals and traditions of the Jewish faith. One of our Protestant chaplains is bi-lingual and speaks Spanish.
- Lay volunteers and participants in chaplaincy training programs also minister to patients and families under the direct supervision of the staff chaplains.
- Bibles, prayer leaflets, and religious articles are available in the Pastoral Care Office.
Location and Hours
The Pastoral Care office is located the first floor of the Hospital in Room 1401. Office hours are Monday through Friday, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Religious articles and reading materials are also available. For more information contact (716) 845-8051.
Worship Services/Holy Day Observances/Festivals
The “all faith” chapel located on the first floor of the hospital (Room 1400) is open 24 hours for patients, family members and friends for meditation and prayer. Weekly services are scheduled as well as special services for a wide variety of religions are scheduled throughout the year. The service schedule for each month can be found posted on the chapel door. You can also call the office of Pastoral Care at 716 845 8051 for information.
- Roman Catholic Mass: Monday and Wednesday and the first Friday of the month. 12:00 noon
- Rest for Your Soul: Music/Prayer/Reflection: Wednesday. 1:30pm
- Muslim Prayer: Friday. 1:30 pm or when the chapel is available
- Protestant Communion: First Sunday of the month.
- Holy Days/Observances/Festivals for different religions as appropriate
Bedside Services are available upon request.
The Chaplains will do all they can to help patients and their family members observe religious practices during g a hospital stay.
Places of Worship Near Roswell Park Cancer Institute
There are several places in the community for worship, meditation and prayer. Find a location near you.