The Hospitalist division is a team of internal medicine physicians and advanced practice providers who specialize in providing inpatient acute care for oncology patients. We manage all solid tumor medical oncology patients in addition to patients of the following services: Radiation Medicine, Interventional Radiology, GI-Endoscopy, Pain/Palliative, Infectious Disease, and Undiagnosed patients. We also provide after-hours coverage for Hematology services (BMT/TCT, Leukemia, Lymphoma, Myeloma) on nights and weekends.
Services we offer
Our oncology hospitalists specialize in the workup and management of acute issues and complications unique to complex cancer patients. Our hospitalists work closely with patients’ primary oncologists to determine best inpatient plan of care to manage complications and symptoms and get patients back on track with their outpatient treatment plan. In addition, we:
- Coordinate admissions, discharges, and outside transfers while remaining in constant communication with the patient’s primary oncologist, consultants, and the multidisciplinary care teams required to manage our complex patients.
- Provide Internal Medicine consults for Surgical service patients
- Lead the Rapid Response and Code Blue Team
- Dedicated Hospitalist Team Pharmacist assists with medication counseling and medication reconciliation on admission and discharge.
- Dedicated Hospitalist Discharge Nurse Coordinators work with patients, families, and primary oncology team to ensure a seamless transition from inpatient to outpatient care; coordination of follow-up appointments, testing, consultations are all scheduled prior to discharge.
We are a constantly evolving division and are designed to adapt and grow to meet the ever-changing needs of inpatient care at Roswell Park.