The Nurse Residency Program (NRP) is a comprehensive training for new graduate oncology nurses as they transition during their first year of professional practice using standards from the Practice Transition Accreditation Program (PTAP). Roswell Park’s Nurse Residency Program is Western New York’s only Accredited Practice Transition Program with Distinction by the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC).
The program is conducted in partnership with Vizient/AACN, Inc. which publishes the guidelines, curriculum, and collects/aggregates data regarding the participants.
Residents are enrolled into an NRP cohort during their preceptored orientation. Each cohort meets in small groups monthly for 12 months during scheduled work time to cover the curriculum, participate in clinical reflections and team-building exercises, and work on a nurse-driven evidence-based practice project.
Innovative, game-based educational material develops decision-making skills related to clinical judgement and performance.
- Complete an evidence-based practice project and poster presentation. Participants are provided with resources and support to present at national nursing conferences, if interested.
- Create relationships with experienced nurses, educators, leaders, and other clinical experts from within the organization.
- Enhance knowledge in specialty topics, such as:
- Oncological emergencies
- Nursing quality
- Charge nurse training
- Professional development
- Moral distress and resiliency
- Cultural competence
- Advanced clinical skills
- Care coordination
Successful candidates can apply for a promotion upon program completion.
Nursing isn't just skills anymore. Nursing itself is a science and an art. We want the best nurses in the state here to provide care because we know that they make a big difference in the outcomes of our patients.Andrew Storer, PhD, DNP, FNP-C, ACNP-BC, FAANP
Vice President and Deputy Chief Nursing Officer
All nurses who meet the following requirements will be automatically enrolled in the Nurse Residency Program:
- Graduation from an accredited AAS or BSN program within the previous 12 months of employment
- Less than one year of experience working as a Registered Nurse
- Licensed in the State of New York as an RN at start of program
Those interested in applying should email NursingProfessionalDevelopment@RoswellPark.org and apply to become a nurse at Roswell Park.