Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center offers a General Practice Residency (GPR) Program in Dentistry for graduates of accredited dental schools. The one-year program begins July 1 of each year. Residents spend approximately 70 percent of their time in the clinical care of patients.
Overall Program Goals and Objectives
- Provide a broad-based comprehensive clinical experience in general dentistry
- Teach modern oral healthcare procedures
- Instill a foundation for future learning and research experiences
- Emphasize the comprehensive care of patients and the integral role of the dental health provider in the delivery of that care
- Convey the importance of community service
- Exposure to a hospital setting for future career opportunities
Residents are expected to achieve a level of competence or proficiency in various areas of dentistry. (Competency and proficiency statements are available upon request.) This includes patients that are recently diagnosed with head and neck cancer, and comprehensive dental treatment for patients that are either undergoing active cancer therapies or patients that are in remission.
Features of Roswell Park’s Dentistry Residency Program
The didactic portion of the program consists of treatment planning seminars and literature reviews, as well as lectures in physical diagnosis, prosthodontics, endodontics, practice management and other specialty topics. Other features include:
- A 70-hour rotation experience in Anesthesia
- An opportunity to participate in current research projects involving the early detection of oral cancer in high-risk patients
- Weekly attendance in the multidisciplinary Tumor Board
About Roswell Park's Dental Clinic
The Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center Dental Clinic is located in the Head and Neck Surgery Center.
Residents provide dental care to a diverse and complex inpatient and outpatient population, providing a broad case mix which is essential to a quality training experience. This unique patient population includes, but is not limited to, patients with cancers of the head and neck.
Roswell Park is committed to a program of equal opportunity. Selection of residents is made without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, age or sexual orientation. Candidates must be graduates of an accredited United States or Canadian dental school.
The program does participate in the National Matching Service (NMS) and the Postdoctoral Application Support Service (PASS). Interested applicants are welcome to apply.
For more information contact:
Sunita Manuballa, DDS
Division of Dentistry and Maxillofacial Prosthetics
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
Elm & Carlton Streets
Buffalo, NY 14263