Buffalo Healthcare Exploration (BHE) is an exciting 3- week summer program that offers high school students the opportunity to learn and innovate in a high-tech, fast-paced medical environment at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Due to uncertainty surrounding COVID-19, the on-campus program has been canceled. Our team is considering offering an abbreviated, web-based program contingent on student interest. Applicants and parents for 2020, please check your email for an important message regarding these details.
- Shadow a professional at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Test your skills on the da Vinci Surgical System (dVSS®)
- Work with a team to create a medical innovation that addresses a need or opportunity in the healthcare setting
- Explore healthcare by following a fictional patient through a treatment path
- Develop core competencies relevant to succeed in any career you choose
- Prepare for college and learn what to expect on a college campus
- Tour the medical campus and visit a local medical company
We are creating a BHE team of students and alumni who will come together to support the Ride for Roswell!
- Ride for Roswell: TBD
- July 6 - July 24: Virtual program days TBD
BHE Application Frequently Asked Questions
Am I eligible for this program?
If you are currently in high school you are eligible to apply.
When do I apply?
Applications for Summer 2021 open November 15, 2020.
What is the cost of the program?
All 2020 applicants are invited to join in an abbreviated, web-based program during the month of July, free of charge.
When will I know if I have been accepted?
All 2020 applicants are invited to join in an abbreviated, web-based program during the month of July, free of charge. Typically, acceptances go out at the end of March.
How many students will be in the program?
Approximately 50 students will be accepted.
Where can I get more information or updates on the program?
Like our Facebook page
If you have any questions about the new program, please do not hesitate to contact the ATLAS team at AtlasTeam@RoswellPark.org.
BHE Teaching Assistant
Are you a college student with an interest in healthcare and leadership? Consider joining us as a teaching assistant (TA) this summer! This position is open to the public, though previous participants in the Junior Robotic Surgery Challenge are encouraged to apply.
Registration to become a TA is now closed.
- Manage programming
- Mentor a team of students
- Experience research in the ATLAS lab
- Network within the Buffalo-Niagara medical community
Summer Research Experience Programs in Cancer Science
Are you are a college student, health professional student, or high school junior with a specific interest in research? If cancer research or a PhD degree is your career goal, begin your journey this summer by participating in Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Summer Research Program.