Mohs surgery is considered the single most effective technique for removing skin cancer.
What is Mohs surgery?
Mohs surgery is a precise, surgical technique that removes thin layers of cancer-containing skin without disrupting healthy tissue. It is an outpatient procedure with the highest cure rate for skin cancer, even if the skin cancer has been previously treated.
Why choose Roswell Park?
Roswell Park is the only cancer center in the region offering Mohs surgery. Our surgeons are fellowship-trained by the American College of Mohs Surgery (ACMS) and use advanced technology for precise care in cosmetically sensitive areas, like the face. As members of the ACMS, our surgeons complete one full year of training and hands-on experience beyond dermatology residency, and 500 cases of Mohs surgery and reconstruction.
Mohs surgery is suitable for skin cancers that:
- Are located in areas where it is important to preserve as much normal, healthy tissue as possible for the maximal functional and cosmetic result
- Have come back after previous treatment
- Are large, aggressive or growing rapidly
- Do not have clearly defined edges
- Develop in organ transplant or other immunosuppressed patient
Am I a candidate for Mohs surgery?
To schedule a consultation, please call our referral office at 716-845-3378.