Komen For The Cure Awards Roswell Park $129,000

Buffalo NY – The Western New York Affiliate of Susan G. Komen For The Cure®, has recently awarded over $129,000 to Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center for projects to enhance breast cancer education and patient programs.

A community grant of $68,383 from WNY Komen for the Cure was awarded to Deborah Erwin, PhD, Director of Cancer Health Disparities Research, who will be focusing her project on breast cancer education and the enhancement of clinical care services for Latina women in Western New York. Erwin’s project is currently the only active and systematically evaluated breast cancer education and outreach effort specifically for Latina women in Western New York.  She plans to collaboratively utilize Roswell Park facilities and resources to enhance the program.

A community grant of $61,556 from WNY Komen for the Cure was awarded to Jennifer Hydeman, PhD, a medical psychologist at Roswell Park, who is focusing her project on preparing patients for their transitions from treatment into survivorship. The project will develop an individualized plan with each patient as they end treatment to better help them with the physical and psychological aspects of the transition they will face. The results of the project will be shared with other physicians in the community to improve continuity of long term patient care.

The mission of Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center is to understand, prevent and cure cancer. Roswell Park, founded in 1898, was one of the first cancer centers in the country to be named a National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center and remains the only facility with this designation in Upstate New York. The Institute is a member of the prestigious National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation’s leading cancer centers; maintains affiliate sites; and is a partner in national and international collaborative programs. For more information, visit Roswell Park’s website at http://www.roswellpark.org, call 1-800-ROSWELL (1-800-767-9355) or email AskRoswell@Roswellpark.org.

About Susan G. Komen for the Cure® and the Komen Western New York Affiliate

Nancy G. Brinker promised her dying sister, Susan G. Komen, she would do everything in her power to end breast cancer forever, and in 1982, that promise became Susan G. Komen for the Cure. The WNY Affiliate is part of the world’s largest and most progressive grassroots network fighting breast cancer. Through events like the Komen WNY Race for the Cure, the WNY Affiliate has invested over $3 million in community breast cancer programs in the 8 counties of WNY.  Up to 75 percent of net proceeds generated by the Affiliate stays in the WNY area, the remaining 25 percent funds national breast cancer research. For more information, visit www.komenwny.org.

Media Contact

Annie Deck-Miller, Senior Media Relations Manager
716-845-8593; annie.deck-miller@roswellpark.org