Special Interests:The intersection of tumor genetics with biological features of cancer
About Agnieszka Witkiewicz
I joined the faculty of Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center in the Spring of 2018 as the Chief for Research and Biobanking in the Department of Pathology. I'm a board-certified pathologist with a subspecialty certification in dermatopathology.
My research focuses on identifying molecular abnormalities that can be used to improve the outcome of cancer patients by applying more effective therapies and identifying patients at increased risk for developing the disease. I am dedicated to rapidly and efficiently translating basic science discoveries into clinical trials with a goal towards decreasing the lag time between basic science discovery and clinical impact.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Professor of Oncology, Personalized Medicine
- Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology
Education and Training:
- 1996 - MD - Wroclaw University and Medical School
- 1996 - Internship - Dept. of Internal Medicine Wroclaw Medical Center
- 1990 - BS - Biochemistry, K.K. Baczynskiego, Wroclaw, Poland
- 2003 - Resident - PGY3-4 Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology BIDMC and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 2001 - Resident - PGY1-2 Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology U. of Mass. Memorial Medical Center, Worcester, MA
- 2005 - Fellow - Dermatopathology NYU Medical School, New York, NY
- 2004 - Fellow - Breast, Women and Perinatal Pathology Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA
- 1998 - Research Fellow - Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
- 2007 - Dermatopathology
- 2003 - Anatomic and Clinical Pathology
- 1999-Present - United States/Canada Anatomical Pathology (USCAP)
- 2010-Present - American Society Dermatopathology (ASDP)
- 2009–Present - American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
- 2012–Present - American Society for Clinical Oncology (ASCO)
- 2016-2018 - Vice Chair, Pathology Department, University of Arizona
- 2013-2016 - Director, UT Southwestern Tissue Resource, UT Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- 2011-2012 - Director, Tissue Banking and Biorepository, Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, PA
- 2011-2012 - Director, Translational Research/ Pathology Shared Resource, Kimmel Cancer Center, Philadelphia, PA
- 2016-2018 - Director, Tissue Acquision and Cellular/Molecular Analysis Shared Resource, UACC, Tucson, AZ
Honors & Awards:
- 2014 - The Kosciuszko Foundation Distinguished Scientist
- 2011 - KCC Cancer Research Award Kimmel Cancer Center
- 1996 - Magna cum Laude Wroclaw University and Medical School
- 1990 - Outstanding Student, College “K.K. Baczynskiego” Wroclaw, Poland
- 1990 - Winner, National Biological Sciences Competition, Poland Ministry of Health
- Blaszyk H., Witkiewicz A.K., Edwards W.D. Acute aortic regurgitation due to spontaneous rupture of a fenestrated cusp: Report in a 65-year old man and review of seven additional cases. Cardiovasc. Pathol. 1999 Jul-Aug;8(4): 213-216.
- Blaszyk H., Witkiewicz A.K., Wollan P.C., Bjornsson J. Death from pulmonary thromboembolism in severe obesity: Lack of association with established genetic and clinical risk factors. Virchows Arch. 1999 Jun;434(6):529-532.
- Henning J.S., Witkiewicz A.K., Schaffer J.V., Orlow S.J. Juvenile amyopathic dermatomyositis. Dermatol. Online J. 2005 Dec 30;11(4):11.
- Bragg J., Witkiewicz A.K., Orlow S.J., Schaffer J.V. Pityriasis rubra pilaris, type IV. Dermatol. Online J. 2005 Dec 30;11(4):14.
- Witkiewicz A.K., Sooryanarayana V., Shen R., Sabel M.S., Chinnaiyan A.M., Rubin M.A., and Kleer C.G. Characterization of Alpha-Methylacyl-CoA Racemase (AMACR) expression in normal breast and breast cancer. Cancer Epidemiol. Biomarkers Prev. 2005 Jun;14(6):1418-1423.