Specializing In:Artificial Intelligence Network Neuroscience Cognitive Psychology Brain and Behavior Computer Vision
About Somayeh Besharat Shafiei
Dr. Shafiei is an Assistant Professor in the Urology Department of Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center in Buffalo, NY. She graduated with her PhD in Mechanical Engineering in 2018 and joined the Applied Technology Laboratory for Advanced Surgery (ATLAS) lab as a research scientist, where she has learned clinical and surgical lessons required for her research. At Roswell Park, Dr. Shafiei focus is mainly on oncology challenges including development of computer vision algorithms for cancer detection, improving patient safety during surgery by developing objective methods of surgical skill evaluation using surgeon’s physiological signals, development of algorithms to monitor mental health of patients after surgery by using patient physiological signals, and investigating change of physiological features associated with control urinary incontinence and pelvic floor muscles rehabilitation. Dr. Shafiei is the co-author of more than 30 peer-reviewed journal and conference articles and her research has been awarded by the National Institute of Health (NIH). Her research interests include machine learning and deep learning, non-invasive Brain-Computer Interfaces, Network Neuroscience, Cognitive Psychology, Brain and Behavior, and Computer Vision.
Dr. Shafiei is very interested to start collaboration with researchers on projects in multidisciplinary areas. She is also looking for talented graduate students and researchers in Engineering, Biology, Psychology, and Neuroscience disciplines. Financial support is available for one Postdoc researcher and one project coordinator. If you are interested, please send your CV to Somayeh.BesharatShafiei@RoswellPark.org.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Department of Urology
Education and Training:
- 2012-2017 - PhD - Mechanical Engineering, State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
Honors & Awards:
- 04/2020-02/2024 - Recipient of NIH Grant: R01EB029398, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering, Role: Principal Investigator
1. Shafiei, S.B., Hussein, A.A. and Guru, K.A., 2018. Relationship between surgeon’s brain functional network reconfiguration and performance level during robot-assisted surgery. IEEE Access, 6, pp.33472-33479.
2. Shafiei, S.B., Hussein, A.A., Muldoon, S.F. and Guru, K.A., 2018. Functional brain states measure mentor-trainee trust during robot-assisted surgery. Scientific reports, 8(1), pp.1-12.
3. Shafiei, S.B., Hussein, A.A. and Guru, K.A., 2018. Dynamic changes of brain functional states during surgical skill acquisition. PloS one, 13(10).
4. Shafiei, S.B. and Guru, K.A., 2017, August. Use of Numerical-Clustering Framework for End-Effector Tracking During Robot-Assisted Surgery. In ASME 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference. American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection.
5. Shafiei, S.B., Cavuoto, L. and Guru, K.A., 2017. Motor skill evaluation during robot-assisted surgery. In ASME 2017 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference. American Society of Mechanical Engineers Digital Collection.