Martin Mahoney, MD, PhD
Martin Mahoney, MD, PhD
An evaluation of Tar Wars, a tobacco-free intervention program aimed at fifth grade students, was completed. The effectiveness of the program was assessed by measuring changes in knowledge regarding the effects of tobacco use, student advocacy against tobacco in their families, reduced experimentation and reduced adoption of tobacco use behaviors. The study included approximately 1,400 fifth grade students who completed a baseline survey on tobacco use and attitudes regarding tobacco. Students were then exposed to the Tar Wars Program, followd by a short pre-test and then a follow-up survey conducted six months later.
A Phase I clinical trail was completed of an edible hepatitis B vaccine administered to RPCI health care workers, who previously had received the parenteral hepatitis B series. A randomized, double-blind study design was used to assess the antibody response to the transgenetically produced hepatitis B antigen administered via raw potatoes. Tolerability of the potato vehicle and immunologic response were the main scientific outcomes evaluated.
- 162. Assessing 30-day quantity-frequency of U.S. adolescent cigarette smoking as a predictor of adult smoking 14 years later. Saddleson ML, Kozlowski LT, Giovino GA, Homish GG, Mahoney MC, Goniewicz ML. Drug and alcohol dependence. 2016; 162:92-8. PubMed [journal]PMID: 26987520
- 163. Clinician and Parent Perspectives on Educational Needs for Increasing Adolescent HPV Vaccination. Widman CA, Rodriguez EM, Saad-Harfouche F, Twarozek AM, Erwin DO, Mahoney MC. Journal of cancer education : the official journal of the American Association for Cancer Education. 2016; NIHMSID: NIHMS817544 PubMed [journal]PMID: 27640203 PMCID: PMC5357204
- 164. Engaging diverse populations in biospecimen donation: results from the Hoy y Mañana study. Rodriguez EM, Saad-Harfouche FG, Miller A, Mahoney MC, Ambrosone CB, Morrison CD, Underwood W Rd, Erwin DO. Journal of community genetics. 2016; 7(4):271-277. PubMed [journal]PMID: 27488840 PMCID: PMC5138162
- 165. Patterns of polytobacco use among college students Yu ES, Saddleson ML, Murphy JillM, Giovino GaryA, Mahoney MC. Health behavior and policy review. 2017; 4(2):173-181.
- 166. Patterns of Loss to Follow-Up Care Among Childhood Cancer Survivors. Rokitka DA, Curtin C, Heffler JE, Zevon MA, Attwood K, Mahoney MC. Journal of adolescent and young adult oncology. 2017; 6(1):67-73.