I was raised in Chicago, IL. I attended medical school and trained in surgery at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. After a fellowship in surgical oncology at the National Cancer Institute, I was an Assistant Professor of Surgery and Surgical Oncology at the University of Virginia. In 1992, I came to Roswell Park where I served as Chief of the Breast Service, and Professor of Surgery and Oncology until 2013.
In April 2016, following a three-year appointment as Cancer Center Director at Baptist Cancer Center in Memphis, TN, I returned to Roswell Park in my new role within the Roswell Park administration and the Departments of Surgical Oncology and Cancer Prevention and Control.
At Roswell Park, I'm active in breast cancer research, techniques of surgery and sentinel lymph node biopsy. I'm also active in efforts to define and improve the quality of cancer care for breast and other types of cancer. My work involves research with large cancer registry programs and linking those registries to other sources of cancer treatment information. I serve as the Director of the Clinical Oncology Pathways program at Roswell Park and its affiliate network to assess and improve the quality of care throughout the Roswell system.
1. Edge SB, Hortobagyi GN, Giuliano AE. New and important changes in breast cancer TNM: incorporation of biologic factors into staging. . Expert Rev Anticancer Ther. 2019 Apr;19(4):309-318. doi: 10.1080/14737140.2019.1582335. Epub 2019 Feb 26
2. Daly B, Page R, Edge SB, et al. ASCO Report on the Oncology Clinical Pathways Market Landscape. J Oncol Pract 2018;14(3):e194-e200 Epub 2018 Feb 7 PMID 29412768.
3. Zon RT, Edge SB, Page RD, Frame JN, Lyman GH, Omel JL, Wollins DS, Green SR, Bosserman LD. American Society of Clinical Oncology Criteria for High-Qualtiy Clinical Pathways in Oncology. J Oncol Pract. 2017;13(3):207-210. PID 28282276
4. Neuss M, Rocque G, Zuckerman D, Chiang A, Katta S, Wollins D, Kamin D, Edge S. Establishing a core set of performance meausres to improve value in cancer care: ASCO Consensus Conference Recommendation Report. J Oncol Prac 2017;13(2):135-140. PMID 28029299.
5. Mallin I, Palis BE, Watroba N, Stewart AK, Walczak D, Singer J, Barron J, Blumenthal W, Haudy G, Edge SB. Completeness of American cancer registry treatment data: Implications for quality of care research. J Am Coll Surg 2013;216(3):428-437. Epub Jan 26. PMID 23357724.