My name is Dr. Martin Brecher and I’m an Emeritus Professor at Roswell Park. I specialized in clinical trials for pediatric cancer as well as long-term effects of treatment and risk factors for childhood acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL). I retired from patient care in 2014 and I am now primarily involved in an advisory role and assist in the education of fellows, residents and medical students on the care of children with cancer and blood disorders.
I earned my medical degree from the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Science, State University of New York at Buffalo. I completed my residency at John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital of Buffalo in Buffalo, NY and completed my fellowship at John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital of Buffalo and Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, both in Buffalo, NY.
I’m board certified in pediatrics and pediatric hematology-oncology by the American Board of Pediatrics. I’m also board certified by the National Board of Medical Examiners.
I am the former Chief of Pediatric Hematology-Oncology at both University of Buffalo (UB) and John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital of Buffalo. I also served for more than 25 years as Chair of Pediatrics at Roswell Park.
A few of my academic awards include:
- UB’s Frederick B. Wilkes Teaching Award in Pediatrics
- 2005 Leonard Tow Humanism in Medicine Award
- Louis A. & Rush Siegel Excellence in Teaching Award
- The combined UB and Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo John Paroski House Staff Teaching Award in Pediatrics
- 2017 Distinguished Medical Alumnus Award by the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Science
I’ve also been recognized for my work in the community. I’m honored to have received the following awards:
- Burt Flickinger Jr. Physician’s Award from the Women & Children’s Hospital of Buffalo
- Leukemia & Lymphoma Society of Western New York Service Award
- Spirit of Teddi Humanitarian Award from Camp Good Days and Special Times
- New Era Champion for Children Award presented by Brian Moorman’s P.U.N.T Foundation
- Solomon LW, Frustino JL, Loree TR, Brecher ML, Alberico RA, Sullivan M. Ewing sarcoma of the mandibular condyle: multidisciplinary management optimizes outcome. Head and neck 2008; 303:405-410
- Kowalczyk A, Ciesielski M, Brecher M, Fenstermaker R, Repasky E, Rokita H, Kaneko Y, Bambach B, Gil M, Wierzbicki A, Kozbor D. Induction of protective immune responses against NXS2 neuroblastoma challenge in mice by immunotherapy with GD2 mimotope vaccine and IL-15 and IL-21 gene delivery. Cancer immunology, immunotherapy : CII 2007; 569:1443-1458