Are You Covered?
Now is the time to check.
"I know how important it is to have the most advanced therapies when you need them."
Dr. Boris Kuvshinoff
Cancer Survivor and Chief Medical Officer, Roswell Park
Open enrollment period is the time to take action if your plan does not provide adequate in-network coverage of Roswell Park services. Our financial counselors are ready to assist you with any of your open enrollment, health insurance and billing questions. We'll contact you if you fill out the form below or you can call us at 1-800-ROSWELL (1-800-767-9355).
When is Open Enrollment?
Depending on your type of health insurance, there are rules about when you can enroll in another health insurance plan.
Open enrollment period runs from October 15th through December 7th.
Open enrollment periods are determined by your employer, but are typically in the fall.
Medicaid, the Essential Plan, and Child Health Plus
Enroll at any time.
NY State of Health Marketplace
Open enrollment period runs from November 1st through January 31st.
Roswell Park is the only cancer hospital in New York State outside of New York City to be among the U.S. News and World Report’s list of top 50 best hospitals for cancer care. Ranked among the top 1.5% of the nation’s cancer centers, Roswell Park helps to set the standards for cancer care around the nation. Read more about why you need Roswell Park in your network.
Hear From Our Experts
Our experts are here to help you make sense of your health insurance, network access or your medical bills.
Here are some answers to some of the most common questions about open enrollment
- Medicare’s open enrollment period runs from October 15th through December 7th.
- NY State of Health Marketplace’s open enrollment period runs from November 1st through January 31st.
- Job-based plans’ open enrollment period is determined by your employer, but are typically in the fall.
- Medicaid, the Essential Plan, and Child Health Plus allow you to enroll at any time.
- If you are enrolling in a Medicare Managed Care Plan, please consider enrolling in a plan that is in-network with Roswell Park (BlueCross Blue Shield of WNY, Independent Health, MVP, and Univera Healthcare). Otherwise, if you choose a plan that is out-of-network, your plan may not cover your services at Roswell Park and/or you may have higher out-of-pocket costs.
- If you are enrolling in a Medicaid Managed Care Plan, you should select a plan that is in-network with Roswell Park (BlueCross BlueShield of WNY, Fidelis, Independent Health, and Yourcare). Otherwise, if you choose a plan that is out-of-network, all services will require prior authorization and/or you may not be able to receive services at Roswell Park.
If you have out-of-network benefits, you may be able to still receive services at Roswell Park. However, an out-of-network authorization may be required – this means we would need a prior approval by your insurance plan for you to have services at Roswell Park. Another important factor to consider when deciding to go to an out-of-network provider is the financial responsibility. Typically an insurance plan will pay less when you receive services out-of-network and will hold you responsible for a larger portion of the bill. For example, you may have 20% coinsurance for in-network services, but 40% coinsurance when you go out-of-network. In addition, you may be responsible for paying the difference between Roswell Park's charges and your insurance plan’s usual and customary rates.
There are many factors to consider and compare when picking an insurance plan, but two key components are coverage and cost. First, you want to make sure the providers (your primary care doctor, specialists, hospitals, etc.) that you use are in-network and participating with the plan you choose. Second, you should consider the total health care costs (monthly premium, deductible, copays and coinsurance, and out-of-pocket maximum). Generally, plans with higher premiums have better coverage and lower out-of-pocket expenses.
Is Roswell Park and its providers in-network with my plan? (You may need to provide our Tax ID number 161552370 and our NPI numbers: Roswell Park (Hospital) 1548315401 and Roswell Park (Physicians - RPCI CPP) 1720036593)
- What are my co-pays for specialist office visits, ambulatory surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, radiology, and inpatient admissions?
- What is my maximum out-of-pocket cost (MOOP)?
- Do I have out-of-network benefits?
- Does my plan require out-of-network authorizations?
- What are my out-of-network benefits (deductible, coinsurance, out-of-pocket maximum)?
- Does my insurance plan access any special networks (such as Cancer Resource Services, MultiPlan, or MagnaCare) for which Roswell Park is an in-network provider?
- Will I be balance billed for the difference between the usual and customary rates and Roswell Park’s charges?