Dr. Wooten is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:General Surgery Surgical Oncology Head and Neck Cancer (oral/tongue, pharyngeal/throat, laryngeal, thyroid, parathyroid) Salivary Glands
Research Interests:Transoral Robotic Surgery Immunotherapy Social Health Care Disparities in Head and Neck Cancer PDT
About Kimberly Wooten
What first attracted me to cancer surgery were the intricacies of the disease and the opportunity to connect with my patients. After my grandfather passed away from cancer, I knew that I wanted to take care of patients just like him. Now, as a cancer surgeon in the Department of Head and Neck Surgery/Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery, I have been given the opportunity to do just that.
I completed a residency in General Surgery at the University at Buffalo. It was during a rotation on the Head and Neck Surgery service that I was able to care for many patients with head and neck cancer, and understand both the complex disease process and the close care that was required. These experiences lead me to pursue a two-year fellowship here at Roswell Park in head and neck surgical oncology, in which I specialized in treating cancers of the head and neck (oral, throat/pharyngeal, voicebox/laryngeal, sinus, skull base, thyroid and parathyroid, salivary gland tumors and skin cancers of the head and neck) including transoral surgery and transoral robotic surgery, and reconstructions of the head and neck.
I was fortunate enough to join the talented team at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center, and be able to care for and educate patients who suffer from various forms of head and neck cancer.
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Department of Head & Neck/Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo
- Assistant Professor of Surgery
Education and Training:
- 2008 - MD - University of Florida
- 2011 - 2012 - Research Year, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- 2008 - 2014 - General Surgery, SUNY University at Buffalo
- 2014 - 2016 - Head and Neck Surgical Oncology and Microvascular Reconstruction, Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- 2015 - American Board of Surgery
Honors & Awards:
- 2013 - 1st Place, Annual Research Day, UB Department of Surgery, Basic Science Oral Presentation
- 2012 - 3rd Place, Annual Research Day, UB Department of Surgery, Basic Science Oral Presentation
- 2008 - Arnold P. Gold Humanism Award in Medicine
Featured on Cancer Talk
- Moose RE, Clemente JC, Jackson LR, Ngo M, Wooten K, Chang R, Bennett A, Chakraborty S, Yowell CA, Dame JB, Agbandje-McKenna M, Dunn BM. Analysis of binding interactions of pepsin inhibitor-3 to mammalian and malarial aspartic proteases. Biochemistry. 2007 Dec 11;46(49):14198-205.
- Shatzel J, Wooten K, Ankola A, Cheney RT, Morrison CD, Skitzki JJ. Inflammatory myofibroblastic tumor of the mesentery: an clinical dilemma. Int J Clin Oncology. 2012 Aug;17(4):380-4.
- Wooten KE, Hartin CW Jr, Ozgediz DE. Laparoscopic diagnosis of magnetic malrotation with fistula and volvulus. JSLS. 2012 Oct-Dec;16(4):644-6.
- Wooten KE, Ozturk CN, Ozturk C, Laub P, Aronoff N, Gurunluoglu R. Role of tissue expansion in abdominal wall reconstruction: A systemic evidence-based review. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2017 Feb.