My name is Dr. Kara Kelly, and I’m a pediatric oncologist and the Chair of Roswell Park Oishei Children’s Cancer and Blood Disorders Program. I specialize in leukemia and lymphoma in children and adolescents, with a specific focus on acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) and Hodgkin lymphoma.
As a recognized national and international leader in the field of pediatric cancer, my skills as a clinician, professor and clinical investigator have helped solidify the joint pediatric hematology/oncology program at Roswell Park Oishei Children’s. Under my leadership, the Children’s Hospital has expanded and now includes:
- A pediatric experimental therapeutics program
- Next-generation cancer mutation sequencing
- Integrative medicine for patients and their families
I have chaired the NCI-supported Children’s Oncology Group (COG) Hodgkin lymphoma committee since 2011 and led two national clinical trials for high-risk Hodgkin lymphoma through the COG. I currently serve as a member of both the Scientific Advisory Board and the Adolescent and Young Adult Initiative Committee of the Lymphoma Research Foundation. For fifteen years, I was the Columbia University Medical Center site principal investigator for the Dana Farber Cancer Institute Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia Consortium, where I oversaw 9 trials for the management of ALL and its complications.
Along with my roles as an active clinician and dedicated researcher, I also hold the following professional roles:
- Professor of Oncology at Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- Waldemar J. Kaminski Endowed Chair of Pediatrics at Roswell Park Cancer Institute
- Division Chief of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at UBMD Pediatrics
- Division Chief of Department of Pediatrics in the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
- Professor of Pediatrics at Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo
I earned my medical degree from Jacobs School of Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo in Buffalo, NY. I completed my residency in pediatrics at University of Pennsylvania/Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia in Philadelphia, PA, and completed dual fellowships in pediatric hematology/oncology at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children in London, United Kingdom.
I am board certified in both general pediatrics and pediatric hematology/oncology by the American Board of Pediatrics. Along with Elena J. Ladas, MS, RD, I co-authored Integrative Strategies for Cancer Patients: A Practical Resource for Managing the Side Effects of Cancer Therapy, which is a reference book on integrative therapies during cancer treatment. I’m also a member of the American Society of Hematology and the Children’s Oncology Group.
A few of my recent honors and awards include:
- Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons: James A. Wolff Professorship of Pediatrics
- New York Magazine: Top Doctor
- National Cancer Institute: National Institute of Health Merit Award
- Schneider Children’s Hospital: Lefton Lectureship
- Dana Farber Cancer Institute: 9th Annual Lenny Zakim Lecture – Invited Lectureship
Prior to joining Roswell Park in 2016, I was on the faculty of the Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons in New York, NY. I’ve been in practice as a pediatric hematologist/oncologist for 21 years. In addition to providing ongoing care to my pediatric leukemia and lymphoma patients, I am also available for second opinions.