Khurshid Guru, MD
Areas of Expertise:
Khurshid A. Guru, MD, was appointed Director of Robotic Surgery at Roswell Park Cancer Institute (RPCI) in October 2005. A new surgical center opened in 2004 and was the first facility in the Buffalo-Niagara region to offer state-of-the-art robotic surgical technology to patients with prostate cancer. He also serves as Assistant Professor in the Department of Urologic Oncology at RPCI.
Dr. Guru earned his medical degree (1995) at the University of Mysore in Karnataka, India. He completed residency training in Urological Surgery (2005) and a Robotic Surgery Fellowship (2004) at Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI. He also completed an International Fellowship in Urologic-Oncology (2004) at the Urology and Nephrology Center at Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt, and a fellowship in Urological Surgery (2000), at the Veterans Administration Medical Center, Togus, ME.
Dr. Guru is one of the few fellowship-trained robotic surgeons in the Eastern United States. He has assisted and performed over 500 robotic prostatectomies during his training and fellowship. Dr. Guru and the Roswell team pioneered the Robotic cystectomy program at RPCI and performed the first robotic cystectomy in the Western New York in November of 2005. Dr. Guru has performed live demonstrations of robotic prostatectomy at several international seminars.
Dr. Guru’s research interest is the application of robotic surgery in urologic oncology, especially urinary reconstruction for bladder cancer. Dr. Guru is currently working towards developing the training program for robotic surgery including the virtual simulation for training future robotic surgeons. In collaboration with University of Buffalo, Virtual Reality Laboratory Robotic surgery program is working towards establishing a virtual reality training program for robotic surgery. His major interest is robotic surgical education and its incorporation for future generation of surgeons. He leads the growing robotic surgery program in the Department of Urologic Oncology and the Roswell Park Cancer Center for Robotic Surgery. He also assists other surgical departments with bringing the benefits of robotic surgery to patients with gynecologic, thoracic and gastrointestinal cancers.
Dr. Guru is a member of the Endourological Association, American Urological Association, American Medical Association, and Jammu and Kashmir Urological Society.
Dr. Guru has authored and co-authored several journal articles, abstracts and book chapters.
Application of robotic surgery in urologic oncology
Robot-assisted urinary reconstruction for bladder cancer
Establishment of a virtual reality training program for robotic surgery
Surgical simulation for surgical training especially robot-assisted surgery
Education and Training:
University of Mysore, Karnataka, India
Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI
Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI
Urology and Nephrology Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
Veterans Administration Medical Center, Togus, ME
- Surgical margin status after robot assisted radical cystectomy: results from the International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium. Journal of urology 2010; 184(1):87-91 .
- A method for using life tables to estimate lifetime risk for prostate cancer death. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2010; 8(2):148-154 .
- Can image-based virtual reality help teach anatomy?. Journal of endourology 2010; 24(4):629-634 .
- Percutaneous biopsy of renal cell carcinoma underestimates nuclear grade. Urology 2010; 76(3):610-613 .
- Robot-assisted radical cystectomy: an expert panel review of the current status and future direction. Urologic oncology 2010; 28(5):480-486 .
- Instituting a robot-assisted surgery programme at a tertiary care cancer centre. International journal of medical robotics and computer assisted surgery 2010; 6(3):330-333 .
- The learning curve of robot-assisted radical cystectomy: results from the International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium. European urology 2010; 58(2):197-202 .
- Reply from authors re: Urs E. Studer, Laurence Collette. Robot-assisted cystectomy: does it meet expectations?. European urology 2010; 58(2):204-206 .
- Face validation of a novel robotic surgical simulator Reply. Urology 2010; 76(2):361-362 .
- Face validation of a novel robotic surgical simulator. Urology 2010; 76(2):357-360 .
- Intake of cruciferous vegetables modifies bladder cancer survival. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers and prevention 2010; 19(7):1806-1811 .
- Status of robot-assisted radical cystectomy. Canadian journal of urology 2010; 17(1):5002-5011 .
- Current trends in robot assisted surgery: a survey of gynecologic oncologists. International journal of medical robotics and computer assisted surgery 2010; 6(4):468-472 .
- Robot-assisted intracorporeal ileal conduit: Marionette technique and initial experience at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Urology 2010; 76(4):866-871 .
- Robot-assisted intracorporeal ileal conduit 'Marionette' technique. BJU international 2010; 106(9):1404-1420 .
- Does previous robot-assisted radical prostatectomy experience affect outcomes at robot-assisted radical cystectomy? Results from the International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium. Urology 2010; 76(5):1111-1116 .
- Robot-assisted laparoscopic ureterolysis: case report and literature review of the minimally invasive surgical approach. JSLS : Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons 2010; 14(2):313-319 .
- Comparative analysis of global practice patterns in urologic robot-assisted surgery. Journal of endourology 2010; 24(10):1637-1644 .
- Defining morbidity of robot-assisted radical cystectomy using a standardized reporting methodology. European urology 2011; 59(2):213-218 .
- Simplified Laparoscopic Partial Nephrectomy Using a Single-layer Closure and No Bolsters for Renal Tumors. Urology 2011; 77(2):344-349 .
- Lymphadenectomy at the time of robot-assisted radical cystectomy: results from the International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium. BJU international 2011; 107(4):642-646 .
- Does the presence of significant risk factors affect perioperative outcomes after robot-assisted radical cystectomy?. BJU international 2009; 104(7):986-990 .
- Granulocytic sarcoma of the adrenal gland. Canadian journal of urology 2009; 16(4):4760-4761 .
- Robot-assisted ureterectomy and ureteral reconstruction for urothelial carcinoma. Journal of endourology 2009; 23(1):97-100 .
- Re: Robot-assisted radical cystoprostatectomy in complex surgical patients: single institution report. Canadian journal of urology 2009; 16(3):4670 .
- Current status of robot-assisted surgery in urology: a multi-national survey of 297 urologic surgeons. Canadian journal of urology 2009; 16(4):4736-4741 .
- The learning curve for robot-assisted radical cystectomy. JSLS : Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons 2009; 13(4):509-514 .
- Apical margins after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy: does technique matter?. Journal of endourology 2009; 23(1):123-127 .
- Management of an enlarged median lobe with ureteral orifices at the margin of bladder neck during robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy. Canadian journal of urology 2009; 16(1):4490-4494 .
- Short-term quality-of-life assessed after robot-assisted radical cystectomy: a prospective analysis. BJU international 2009; 103(6):800-804 .
- Impact of previous abdominal surgery on robot-assisted radical cystectomy. JSLS : Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons 2009; 13(3):398-405 .
- How do we improve techniques in robotic surgery? . Journal of urology 2011; 185(4):1186-1187 .
- Morbidity following robot-assisted radical cystectomy for bladder cancer in the elderly. Journal of endourology 2010; 24(Suppl. 1):A117 .
- Nutritional status as a risk factor for complications after robot-assisted radical cystectomy. Journal of endourology 2010; 24(Suppl. 1):A113 .
- Total intracorporeal robot-assisted laparoscopic ileal conduit (Bricker) urinary diversion: technique and outcomes. Canadian journal of urology 2011; 18(1):5548-5556 .
- Content validation of a novel robotic surgical simulator. BJU international 2011; 107(7):1130-1135 .
- Challenges and implementation of a women's breast health initiative in rural Kashmir. Breast (Edinburgh, Scotland) 2011; 20(Suppl. 2):S46-S50 .
- Validation of Robotic Surgery Simulator (RoSS). Studies in health technology and informatics 2011; 163:274-276 .
- Impact of body mass index on robot-assisted radical cystectomy. JSLS : Journal of the Society of Laparoendoscopic Surgeons 2008; 12(3):241-245 .
- Editorial comment. Journal of endourology 2008; 22(10):2402 .
- A robotic future for bladder cancer? . Lancet oncology 2008; 9(2):184 .
- Hydrodissection for preservation of neurovascular bundle during robot-assisted radical prostatectomy. Canadian journal of urology 2008; 15(2):4000-4003 .
- The lymph node yield during robot-assisted radical cystectomy. BJU international 2008; 102(2):231-234; discussion 234 .
- Median lobe in robot-assisted radical prostatectomy: evaluation and management. Urology 2008; 71(5):810-813 .
- Wilm's tumor during pregnancy: report of laparoscopic removal and review of literature. Canadian journal of urology 2008; 15(4):4180-4183 .
- Laparoscopic extravesical ureteroneocystostomy by a new "Y" flap technique. Journal of endourology 2008; 22(8):1701-1703 .
- Robotic radical prostatectomy in patients with preexisting inflatable penile prosthesis (IPP). Canadian journal of urology 2008; 15(5):4263-4265 .
- Incidental seminal vesicle smooth muscle neoplasm of unknown malignancy following robotic-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy. Canadian journal of urology 2008; 15(3):4109-4111 .
- Robot-assisted Millin's retropubic prostatectomy: case series. Canadian journal of urology 2008; 15(3):4101-4105 .
- Impact of tumour volume on surgical and pathological outcomes after robot-assisted radical cystectomy. BJU international 2008; 102(7):840-843 .
- Robot-assisted radical cystectomy and pelvic lymph node dissection: initial experience at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Urology 2007; 69(3):469-474 .
- Impact of robotics and laparoscopy on surgical skills: A comparative study. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2007; 204(1):96-101 .
- Rapid communication: robot-assisted anterior exenteration: technique and initial series. Journal of endourology 2007; 21(6):633-639 .
- Is a cystogram necessary after robot-assisted radical prostatectomy? . Urologic oncology 2007; 25(6):465-467 .
- Robot-assisted radical cystectomy versus open radical cystectomy: assessment of postoperative pain. Canadian journal of urology 2007; 14(6):3753-3756 .
- Consumption of raw cruciferous vegetables is inversely associated with bladder cancer risk. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers and prevention 2008; 17(4):938-944 .
- The role of laparoscopic and robotic cystectomy in the management of muscle-invasive bladder cancer with special emphasis on cancer control and complications. European urology 2011; 60(4):767-775 .
- Editorial comment. Journal of urology 2011; 186(3):1024 .
- Is patient outcome compromised during the initial experience with robot-assisted radical cystectomy? Results of 164 consecutive cases. BJU international 2011; 108(6):882-887 .
- Serum 25(OH) vitamin D3 response to vitamin D3 supplementation in men with prostate cancer: Results of a randomized phase II trial : ASCO Meeting Abstracts Part 1. Journal of clinical oncology 2011; 29(15 Suppl.):e13060 .
- Short-term Patient-reported Quality of Life After Robot-assisted Radical Cystectomy Using the Convalescence and Recovery Evaluation. Urology 2012; 79(6):1274-1280 .
- A single-center experience of chemotherapy for muscle-invasive bladder cancer after radical cystectomy : 2012 Genitourinary Cancers Symposium. Journal of clinical oncology 2012; 30(5 Suppl.):Abstract #318 .
- Association of calcium channel blocker use with prostate cancer aggressiveness, progression-free survival, and overall survival : ASCO Meeting Abstracts Part 1. Journal of clinical oncology 2012; 30(15 Suppl.):Abstract #e15204 .
- Does body mass index impact the performance of robot-assisted intracorporeal ileal conduit?. Journal of endourology 2012; 26(7):857-860 .
- Minimally invasive cystectomy approaches in the treatment of bladder cancer. Expert review of anticancer therapy 2012; 12(6):733-741 .
- Novel knot tying technique for robot-assisted surgery. Canadian journal of urology 2012; 19(4):6401-6403 .