Brahm Segal, MD
Areas of Expertise:
Infections in patients with cancer
Primary immune disorders
Study NADPH oxidase as a critical regulator of host defense and inflammation
Pathogenesis of invasive aspergillosis
Evaluate the role of NADPH oxidase in tumor immunology
Education and Training:
MD - Albert Einstein College of Medicine, Yeshiva University, Bronx, NY
New England Medical Center, Boston, MA
Diplomate, Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
Infectious Disease, American Board of Internal Medicine
National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Disease, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD
- Altered eosinophil profile in mice with ST6Gal-1 deficiency: an additional role for ST6Gal-1 generated by the P1 promoter in regulating allergic inflammation. Journal of leukocyte biology 2010; 87(3):457-466 .
- Pulmonary aspergillosis: clinical presentation, diagnostic tests, management and complications. Current opinion in pulmonary medicine 2010; 16(3):242-250 .
- NADPH oxidase limits innate immune responses in the lungs in mice. PloS one 2010; 5(3):e9631 .
- Antifungal prophylaxis and therapy in patients with hematological malignancies and hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients. Expert review of anti-infective therapy 2010; 8(12):1451-1466 .
- Protect yourself from infection. Coping with cancer 2010; 24(4):16 .
- Late infectious complications after cord blood stem cell transplantation. European journal of clinical microbiology and infectious diseases 2009; 28(11):1405-1408 .
- Editorial: Special issue, "invasive fungal diseases in allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients" . Mycopathologia 2009; 168(6):269-270 .
- Prevention and treatment of invasive fungal diseases in neutropenic patients. Current opinion in infectious diseases 2009; 22(4):385-393 .
- Fungal infection prevention after hematopoietic cell transplantation. Bone marrow transplantation 2009; 44(8):483-487 .
- Infection control measures to prevent invasive mould diseases in hematopoietic stem cell transplant recipients. Mycopathologia 2009; 168(6):329-337 .
- Aspergillosis. New England journal of medicine 2009; 360(18):1870-1884 .
- Chronic granulomatous disease. Cellular and molecular life sciences : CMLS 2009; 66(4):553-558 .
- Invasive aspergillosis in chronic granulomatous disease. Medical mycology 2009; 47 Suppl. 1:S282-S290 .
- Role of NADPH oxidase in host defense against aspergillosis. Medical mycology 2011; 49(Suppl. 1):S144-S149 .
- Proceedings from the 4th Advances Against Aspergillosis conference. Medical mycology 2011; 49(Suppl. 1):S5-S6 .
- Chronic granulomatous disease: lessons from a rare disorder. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation 2011; 17(1 Suppl.):S123-S131 .
- Molecular epidemiology and risk factors for colonization by vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus in patients with hematologic malignancies. Infection control and hospital epidemiology 2011; 32(5):490-496 .
- Revised definitions of invasive fungal disease from the European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer/Invasive Fungal Infections Cooperative Group and the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases Mycoses Study Group (EORTC/MSG) Consensus Group. Clinical infectious diseases 2008; 46(12):1813-1821 .
- Antifungal agents in hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Current pharmaceutical design 2008; 14(20):2011-2021 .
- Defective tryptophan catabolism underlies inflammation in mouse chronic granulomatous disease. Nature 2008; 451(7175):211-215 .
- Prevention and treatment of cancer-related infections. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2008; 6(2):122-174 .
- Defining responses to therapy and study outcomes in clinical trials of invasive fungal diseases: Mycoses Study Group and European Organization for Research and Treatment of Cancer consensus criteria. Clinical infectious diseases 2008; 47(5):674-683 .
- Treatment of aspergillosis: clinical practice guidelines of the Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clinical infectious diseases 2008; 46(3):327-360 .
- Leflunomide failure to control recurrent cytomegalovirus infection in the setting of renal failure after allogeneic stem cell transplantation. Transplant infectious disease 2007; 9(1):28-32 .
- Ganciclovir inhibits lymphocyte proliferation by impairing DNA synthesis. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation 2007; 13(7):765-770 .
- Modeling the combination of amphotericin B, micafungin, and nikkomycin Z against Aspergillus fumigatus in vitro using a novel response surface paradigm. Antimicrobial agents and chemotherapy 2007; 51(5):1804-1812 .
- Successful treatment of disseminated fusariosis with posaconazole during neutropenia and subsequent allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Transplant infectious disease 2007; 9(2):156-160 .
- Two cases of hepatic zygomycosis in allogeneic stem cell transplant recipients and review of literature. Transplant infectious disease 2007; 9(2):148-152 .
- Immunotherapy for fungal infections with special emphasis on central nervous system infections. Neurology India 2007; 55(3):260-266 .
- Role of macrophages in host defense against aspergillosis and strategies for immune augmentation. Oncologist 2007; 12 Suppl. 2:7-13 .
- Prevention and early treatment of invasive fungal infection in patients with cancer and neutropenia and in stem cell transplant recipients in the era of newer broad-spectrum antifungal agents and diagnostic adjuncts. Clinical infectious diseases 2007; 44(3):402-409 .
- Acid aspiration-induced lung inflammation and injury are exacerbated in NADPH oxidase-deficient mice. American journal of physiology. Lung cellular and molecular physiology 2007; 292(3):L760-L768 .
- Antibacterial prophylaxis in patients with neutropenia. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2007; 5(2):235-242 .
- Combination antifungals: an update. Expert review of anti-infective therapy 2007; 5(5):883-892 .
- Host-dependent patterns of tissue injury in invasive pulmonary aspergillosis. American journal of clinical pathology 2007; 127(3):349-355 .
- Treatment of invasive aspergillosis with posaconazole in patients who are refractory to or intolerant of conventional therapy: an externally controlled trial. Clinical infectious diseases 2007; 44(1):2-12 .
- Transmission of resistant bacteria in intensive care. New England journal of medicine 2011; 365(8):762-763; author reply 764-765 .
- Nrf2 regulates chronic lung inflammation and B-cell responses to nontypeable Haemophilus influenzae. American journal of respiratory cell and molecular biology 2011; 45(3):557-565 .
- NADPH Oxidase Modulates the Development of Myeloid-Derived Suppressor Cells (MDSCs) in Ovarian Cancer Tumor-Bearing Hosts. Reproductive sciences (Thousand Oaks, Calif.) 2011; 18(3):290A .
- Pegylated granulocyte colony stimulating factor (Peg-G-CSF) enhances mapatumumab-mediated antibody dependent cellular cytotoxicity (ADCC) against non-Hodgkin's lymphoma (NHL) cell lines independent of NADPH oxidase-derived reactive oxidant intermediates (ROIs). Blood 2007; 110(11 Part 2):Abstract #4519 .
- Thematic issue: immunity, inflammation and fungal infections. Immunological investigations 2011; 40(7-8):670-675 .
- Role of NADPH oxidase versus neutrophil proteases in antimicrobial host defense. PloS one 2011; 6(12):e28149 .
- Characterization of vancomycin pharmacokinetics in the adult acute myeloid leukemia population. Journal of oncology pharmacy practice 2012; 18(1):91-96 .
- Reactive oxygen species produced by the NADPH oxidase 2 complex in monocytes protect mice from bacterial infections. Journal of immunology (Baltimore, Md. : 1950) 2012; 188(10):5003-5011 .
- Broad-spectrum antifungal prophylaxis in patients with cancer at high risk for invasive mold infections: point. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2008; 6(2):175-182 .
- Regulation of innate immunity by NADPH oxidase. Free radical biology and medicine 2012; 53(1):72-80 .
- Interferon regulatory factor-8 is important for histone deacetylase inhibitor-mediated antitumor activity. PloS one 2012; 7(9):e45422 .