Paul Wallace, PhD
Areas of Expertise:
Clinical diagnosis and monitoring of leukemia, myelodysplastic syndromes and lymphoma by flow cytometry
Application of flow cytometry to monitoring immune cell function
Immunotherapy of cancer with differentiated myeloid cells
Education and Training:
PhD - Immunology, Medical College of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
International Society for Analytical Cytometry
Clinical Cytometry Society
Great Lakes International Imaging and Flow Cytometry Association
- Recurrent deletion of 9q34 in adult normal karyotype precursor B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer genetics and cytogenetics 2010; 199(1):15-20 .
- Long-term safety and efficacy of cyclosporin A therapy for T-cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Leukemia and lymphoma 2010; 51(2):338-341 .
- The influence of regulatory T cells on breast cancer risk and clinical characteristics. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2010; 51:1288 .
- Low dose rabbit anti-thymocyte globulin induction therapy results in prolonged selective CD4 T cell depletion irrespective of maintenance immunosuppression. American journal of transplantation 2010; 10(Suppl. 4):316-317 .
- Time dependent pharmacodynamic responses of T regulatory vells in dtable African American and Caucasian renal transplant recipients. AJR. American journal of roentgenology 2010; 10(Suppl. 4):515 .
- NADPH oxidase limits innate immune responses in the lungs in mice. PloS one 2010; 5(3):e9631 .
- Multiparameter flow cytometry for the diagnosis and monitoring of small GPI-deficient cellular populations. Cytometry. Part B, Clinical cytometry 2010; 78(5):348-356 .
- Longitudinal relationship of early-life immunomodulatory T-cell phenotype and function with development of allergic sensitization in an urban cohort. Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 2010; 125(2 Suppl. 1):AB126 .
- Exhaled NO and allergen-induced cytokine production from PBMCs in children at high risk for asthma and allergy. Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 2010; 125(2 Suppl. 1):AB110 .
- Tracking immune cell proliferation and cytotoxic potential using flow cytometry. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.) 2011; 699:119-164 .
- Recruitment of myeloid and plasmacytoid dendritic cells in cervical mucosa during Chlamydia trachomatis infection. Clinical microbiology and infection 2009; 15(1):50-59 .
- Impact of nasal continuous positive airway pressure therapy on markers of platelet activation in patients with obstructive sleep apnea. Respiration 2009; 77(1):25-31 .
- Validated protocol for FoxP3 reveals increased expression in type 1 diabetes patients. Cytometry. Part B, Clinical cytometry 2009; 76(2):69-78 .
- Treating octogenarian and nonagenarian acute myeloid leukemia patients--predictive prognostic models. Cancer 2009; 115(11):2472-2481 .
- Characterization of regulatory T cells in urban newborns. Clinical and molecular allergy : CMA 2009; 7:8 .
- Efficacy of levo-1-methyl tryptophan and dextro-1-methyl tryptophan in reversing indoleamine-2,3-dioxygenase-mediated arrest of T-cell proliferation in human epithelial ovarian cancer. Cancer research 2009; 69(13):5498-5504 .
- Metachronous and synchronous presentation of acute myeloid leukemia and lung cancer. Leukemia research 2009; 33(9):1208-1211 .
- NF-kB translocation as a quantitative parameter for clinical immunosuppression. Cytometry. Part B, Clinical cytometry 2010; 78B(6):410 .
- Treating myelodysplastic syndrome improves an accompanying autoimmune disease along with a reduction in regulatory T-cells. Leukemia research 2011; 35(5):e35-e36 .
- Tumor flare reaction associated with lenalidomide treatment in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia predicts clinical response. Cancer 2011; 117(10):2127-2135 .
- Role of cervical dendritic cell subsets, co-stimulatory molecules, cytokine secretion profile and beta-estradiol in development of sequalae to Chlamydia trachomatis infection. Reproductive biology and endocrinology : RB&E 2008; 6:46 .
- Photopheresis in HIV-1 infected patients utilizing benzoporphyrin derivative (BPD) verteporfin and light. Current HIV research 2008; 6(2):152-163 .
- Enhanced red and near infrared detection in flow cytometry using avalanche photodiodes. Cytometry. Part A 2008; 73(8):767-776 .
- Immunomodulatory drugs stimulate natural killer-cell function, alter cytokine production by dendritic cells, and inhibit angiogenesis enhancing the anti-tumour activity of rituximab in vivo. British journal of haematology 2008; 140(1):36-45 .
- Tracking antigen-driven responses by flow cytometry: monitoring proliferation by dye dilution. Cytometry. Part A 2008; 73(11):1019-1034 .
- Cervical cytokine responses in women with primary or recurrent chlamydial infection. Journal of interferon and cytokine research 2007; 27(3):221-226 .
- Ganciclovir inhibits lymphocyte proliferation by impairing DNA synthesis. Biology of blood and marrow transplantation 2007; 13(7):765-770 .
- Rheumatoid peripheral blood phagocytes are primed for activation but have impaired Fc-mediated generation of reactive oxygen species. Arthritis research and therapy 2007; 9(2):R29 .
- A method for measuring intracellular free magnesium concentration in platelets using flow cytometry. Magnesium research 2007; 20(3):200-207 .
- Association between CD4(+)CD25(high) T cells and atopy in children. Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 2007; 120(1):177-183 .
- Toll-like receptor activation enhances cell-mediated immunity induced by an antibody vaccine targeting human dendritic cells. Journal of translational medicine 2007; 5:5 .
- Novel lipophilic tracking dyes for monitoring cell proliferation. Immunological investigations 2007; 36(5-6):861-885 .
- Cell tracking 2007: a proliferation of probes and applications. Immunological investigations 2007; 36(5-6):527-561 .
- 2006 Bethesda International Consensus recommendations on the immunophenotypic analysis of hematolymphoid neoplasia by flow cytometry: optimal reagents and reporting for the flow cytometric diagnosis of hematopoietic neoplasia. Cytometry. Part B, Clinical cytometry 2007; 72 Suppl. 1:S14-S22 .
- CD52 over-expression affects rituximab-associated complement-mediated cytotoxicity but not antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity: preclinical evidence that targeting CD52 with alemtuzumab may reverse acquired resistance to rituximab in non-Hodgkin lymphoma. Leukemia and lymphoma 2007; 48(12):2424-2436 .
- Increased human buccal cell autofluorescence is a candidate biomarker of tobacco smoking. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers and prevention 2008; 17(1):239-244 .
- Emergence of rituximab-fludarabine resistance is associated with changes in CD20 antigen expression-and improved response to almetuzumab therapy in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL). Blood 2007; 110(11 Part 1):Abstract #2054 .
- Fluorescence activated cell sorting (FACs) followed by fluorescence in situ hybridization (FISH) to determine clonal origins of cells in Myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS) with paroxysmal nocturnal Hemoglobinuria (PNH). Blood 2007; 110(11 Part 2):229B (Abstract #4623) .
- Photopheresis in HIV-1 infected patients utilizing (Benzoporphyrin derivative Verteporfin/BPD-MA) and light. Blood 2007; 110(11 Part 1):Abstract #2275 .
- Quantitative assessment of NF-kappa B activation in heterogeneous cell populations. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2009; 50:667 .
- Title: Relation Of Early Life Regulatory T-cell Function And Phenotype Development To Wheeze And Allergy: The Urban Environment And Childhood Asthma. Journal of allergy and clinical immunology 2009; 123(2 Suppl.):469 .
- Long-term outcome of cyclosporin a therapy for T-Cell large granular lymphocyte leukemia. Blood 2007; 110(11 Part 2):614A-615A (Abstract #2063) .
- Frequent molecular aberrations in normal karyotype (NC) precursor B-cell acute lymphoblastic leukemia (pB-ALL) detected by comparative genomic hybridization. Blood 2007; 110(11 Part 2):135B (Abstract #4270) .
- The role of minimal residual disease (MRD) by flow cytometry (FC) in predicting outcome in similarly treated acute lymphoblastic leukemia (ALL) patients : ASCO Meeting Abstracts Part 1. Journal of clinical oncology 2011; 29(15 Suppl.):6592 .
- Biological effects and clinical significance of lenalidomide-induced tumour flare reaction in patients with chronic lymphocytic leukaemia: in vivo evidence of immune activation and antitumour response. British journal of haematology 2011; 155(4):457-467 .
- Flow cytometry as a diagnostic tool in lymphomatous or leukemic meningitis: Ready for prime time?. Cancer 2012; 118(7):1747-1753 .
- Quantifying Anti-Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Immunity with CMV Antigen Specific T Cells (Casts) After Allogeneic Hematopoietic Cell Transplant (alloHCT). Biology of blood and marrow transplantation 2012; 18(2 Suppl.):S274 .
- Signal Transducer and Activator of Transcription 3 Promotes Leukemogenesis. Blood 2011; 118(21):609 .
- Longitudinal relationship of early life immunomodulatory T cell phenotype and function to development of allergic sensitization in an urban cohort. Clinical and experimental allergy 2012; 42(3):392-404 .
- Monoallelic and Biallelic Deletions of 13q14.3 in Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia: FISH vs miRNA RT-qPCR Detection. American journal of clinical pathology 2012; 137(4):641-646 .
- Treatment of colorectal cancer patients after resection of metastases with a tumor lysate pulsed dendritic cell vaccine: association between immune response and recurrence free survival . Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2010; 51:Abstract #2400 .
- Novel stem cell enumeration method by flow cytometry shows concordant results across four study sites. Bone marrow transplantation 2012; 47(Suppl. 1):S284-S285 .
- Case study interpretation--Portland: Case 4. Acute leukemia of ambiguous lineage, unclassifiable. Cytometry. Part B, Clinical cytometry 2012; 82B(3):186-191 .
- The new BD stem cell enumeration method by flow cytometry shows concordant results across four study sites. International journal of laboratory hematology 2012; 34(Suppl. 1):55 .
- Rabbit Anti-Thymocyte Globulin (rATG) Induction Therapy Followed by Tacrolimus Conversion to Sirolimus at 3 Months Does Not Increase Treg Cells. American journal of transplantation 2012; 12(Suppl. 3):448 .
- Lymphocyte immunophenotypes at entry on the SCOT trial: compared with healthy controls, markedly reduced T- and B-cell subsets are present in subjects with SSC treated or not treated with prior DMARDs. Rheumatology (Oxford, England) 2012; 51(Suppl. 2):1-2 .
- Detection of Numerical Chromosome Aberrations in Rare Acute Myeloid Leukemia (AML) Cells. Haematologica 2009; 94(Suppl. 2):0037 .
- Quantitative measurement of nuclear translocation of NF-kB and Stat-3 as parameter of response to targeted treatments in immunophenotypically defined cells in acute myeloid leukemia. Haematologica 2009; 94(Suppl. 2):0751 .
- Concomitant z score and ZAP 70 along with ATM deletion identifies patients with poor survival from the RPCI Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Series: A correlation of treatment and survival of B-CLL patients with prognostic variables such as fish, ZAP70 expression, CGH. Haematologica 2008; 93(Suppl. 1):416 (Abstract #1053) .
- Low-dose rabbit antithymocyte globulin induction therapy results in prolonged selective lymphocyte depletion irrespective of maintenance immunosuppression. Transplantation proceedings 2011; 43(2):462-465 .
- Low dose thymoglobulin therapy fails to deplete CD8 and total B cells: A new approach to reduce side effects while maintaining efficacy. Transplant international 2009; 22(Suppl. 2):149 .
- Low Dose Rabbit Anti-Thymocyte Globulin Induction Therapy Selectively Depletes Blood Lymphocytes but Does Not Promote Treg Expansion. American journal of transplantation 2011; 11(Suppl. 2):177 (Abstract #493) .
- Lenalidomide associated tumor flare reaction correlates with clinical response in patients with relapsed or refractory B-cell chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Haematologica 2009; 94(Suppl. 2):0928 .
- Predicting outcome based on minimal residual disease (MRD) using multiparameter flow cytometry (FC) in acute myeloid leukemia (AML) patients (Pts) : ASCO Meeting Abstracts Part 1. Journal of clinical oncology 2012; 30(15 Suppl.):Abstract #6565 .
- T-cell large granular lymphocytosis associated with malignant thymoma. Leukemia research 2012; 36(8):e187-e189 .
- Predictors of immunosuppressive regulatory T lymphocytes in healthy women. Journal of cancer epidemiology 2012; 2012 :191090 .
- Image cytometry-based detection of aneuploidy by fluorescence in situ hybridization in suspension. Cytometry. Part A 2012; 81A(9):776-784 .
- Cytoreduction with gemtuzumab ozogamicin and cytarabine prior to allogeneic stem cell transplant for relapsed/refractory acute myeloid leukemia. Leukemia and lymphoma 2012; 53(10):2085-2088 .