Martin Mahoney, MD, PhD
Areas of Expertise:
Early detection of lung cancer
Cancer screening utilization and promotion
Optimizing pharmacotherapy for smoking cessation
Encouraging use of HPV vaccines
Education and Training:
MD - School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo
PhD - State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo
Family Medicine, American Board of Family Medicine
- Does the number of free nicotine patches given to smokers calling a quitline influence quit rates: results from a quasi-experimental study. BMC public health 2010; 10 :181 .
- Use of a liquid nicotine delivery product to promote smoking cessation. BMC public health 2010; 10 :155 .
- Systematic review: surveillance for breast cancer in women treated with chest radiation for childhood, adolescent, or young adult cancer. Annals of internal medicine 2010; 152(7):444-55; W144-54 .
- Prevalence and predictors of smoke-free policy implementation and support among owners and managers of multiunit housing. Nicotine and tobacco research 2010; 12(2):159-163 .
- Multiunit housing residents' experiences and attitudes toward smoke-free policies. Nicotine and tobacco research 2010; 12(6):598-605 .
- Is use of the human papillomavirus vaccine among female college students related to human papillomavirus knowledge and risk perception?. Sexually transmitted infections 2010; 86(1):74-78 .
- Changes in cigarette smoking, purchase patterns, and cessation-related behaviors among low-income smokers in New York State from 2002 to 2005. Journal of public health management and practice : JPHMP 2010; 16(4):277-284 .
- Sixty years of CA: a cancer journal for clinicians. CA : a cancer journal for clinicians 2010; 60(6):345-350 .
- Secondhand smoke transfer in multiunit housing. Nicotine and tobacco research 2010; 12(11):1133-1141 .
- Screening and surveillance for second malignant neoplasms in adult survivors of childhood cancer: a report from the childhood cancer survivor study. Annals of internal medicine 2010; 153(7):442-451 .
- Stress related quality of life domains in childhood cancer: a multidimensional analysis. Pediatric blood and cancer 2010; 55(5):837 .
- Efficacy expectations for colorectal cancer screening in primary care: identifying barriers and facilitators for patients and clinicians. Health communication 2009; 24(4):304-315 .
- Changes in cancer incidence patterns among a northeastern American Indian population: 1955-1969 versus 1990-2004. Journal of rural health 2009; 25(4):378-383 .
- Fifty years of cancer in an American Indian population. Cancer 2009; 115(2):419-427 .
- Adverse effects with use of nicotine replacement therapy among quitline clients. Nicotine and tobacco research 2009; 11(4):408-417 .
- Associations between adult and childhood secondhand smoke exposures and fecundity and fetal loss among women who visited a cancer hospital. Tobacco control 2009; 18(2):115-120 .
- "Cancer Control Practices": translation and cultural adaptation of an instrument in Crete, Greece. Journal of cancer education 2009; 24(2):105-106 .
- US smokers' reactions to a brief trial of oral nicotine products. Harm reduction journal 2011; 8(1):1 .
- Regional cancer control in south-eastern Nigeria: a proposal emanating from a UICC-sponsored workshop. West African journal of medicine 2010; 29(6):408-411 .
- Reduction in oxidatively generated DNA damage following smoking cessation. Tobacco induced diseases 2011; 9(1):5 .
- Does offering more support calls to smokers influence quit success? . Journal of public health management and practice : JPHMP 2011; 17(3):E9-E15 .
- Costs of giving out free nicotine patches through a telephone quit line. Journal of public health management and practice : JPHMP 2011; 17(3):E16-E23 .
- Intervention to promote smoke-free policies among multiunit housing operators. Journal of public health management and practice : JPHMP 2011; 17(3):E1-E8 .
- Strategies for smoking cessation: what is new and what works? . Expert review of respiratory medicine 2008; 2(2):201-213 .
- Characterizing breast symptoms in family practice. Annals of family medicine 2008; 6(6):528-533 .
- Opportunities and strategies for breast cancer prevention through risk reduction. CA : a cancer journal for clinicians 2008; 58(6):347-371 .
- Medical care in long-term survivors of childhood cancer: A report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study. Journal of clinical oncology 2008; 26(27):4401-4409 .
- Colorectal cancer occurs earlier in those exposed to tobacco smoke: implications for screening. Journal of cancer research and clinical oncology 2008; 134(7):743-751 .
- Breast cancer risk reduction. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2007; 5(8):676-701 .
- Linked claims and medical records for cancer case management : evaluation of mammography abnormalities. Cancer 2007; 110(3):518-524 .
- Autofluorescence bronchoscopy for lung cancer surveillance based on risk assessment. Thorax 2007; 62(4):335-340 .
- Breast cancer risk reduction and counseling: lifestyle, chemoprevention, and surgery. Journal of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network : JNCCN 2007; 5(8):702-710 .
- Research productivity among recipients of AAFP foundation grants. Annals of family medicine 2007; 5(2):143-145 .
- Recommendations from a national conference on universal vaccination against hepatitis B and hepatitis A in adults. Journal of applied research 2007; 7(1):3-16 .
- Smokers' acceptance of "cold calls" offering quitline services. Tobacco control 2007; 16 Suppl. 1:i30-i32 .
- Mortality experiences among 15+ year survivors of childhood and adolescent cancers. Pediatric blood and cancer 2007; 48(3):333-338 .
- Genetic polymorphisms and disease prevention. Pediatric blood and cancer 2007; 48(7):742-747 .
- Increased human buccal cell autofluorescence is a candidate biomarker of tobacco smoking. Cancer epidemiology, biomarkers and prevention 2008; 17(1):239-244 .
- Treating smokers before the quit date: can nicotine patches and denicotinized cigarettes reduce cravings? . Nicotine and tobacco research 2007; 9(11):1139-1146 .
- Evaluation of an intervention to enhance the delivery of smoking cessation services to patients with cancer. Journal of cancer education 2011; 26(3):577-582 .
- Approaches to breast cancer screening among primary care physicians in rural areas of Crete, Greece. Journal of cancer education 2011; 26(3):490-496 .
- An institutional universal standardized tobacco use assessment and intervention in cancer patients : ASCO Meeting Abstracts Part 1. Journal of clinical oncology 2011; 29(15 Suppl.):e16543 .
- Phase I evaluation of sorafenib (SOR) and bevacizumab (BEV) as first-line therapy in hepatocellular cancer (HCC): North Central Cancer Treatment Group trial N0745 : ASCO Meeting Abstracts Part 1. Journal of clinical oncology 2011; 29(15 Suppl.):4116 .
- The effects of bupropion on reactivity to pictorial smoking cues among smokers in a cessation program. Psychophysiology 2008; 45(Suppl. 1):S7 .
- Cancer screening in adult survivors of childhood cancer: A report from the Childhood Cancer Survivor Study (CCSS). Journal of clinical oncology 2009; 27(18 Suppl.): .
- Secondhand smoke exposure in both childhood and adulthood and the risk of adverse pregnancy outcomes. Annals of behavioral medicine 2008; 35(Suppl. 1):S190 .
- Aberrant crypt foci characterization in selected colorectal cancer risk groups. Proceedings of the American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting 2007; 48:397 .
- The effects of extended pre-quit varenicline treatment on smoking behavior and short-term abstinence: a randomized clinical trial. Clinical pharmacology and therapeutics 2012; 91(2):172-180 .
- Outcomes from an electronic medical record (EMR)-based standardized tobacco assessment and cessation program in a NCI-designated comprehensive cancer center. Journal of clinical oncology 2012; 30(15 Suppl.):Abstract #1529 .
- Impact of varenicline on cue-specific craving assessed in the natural environment among treatment-seeking smokers. Psychopharmacology 2012; 223(1):107-116 .
- The effects of varenicline on attention and inhibitory control among treatment-seeking smokers. Psychopharmacology 2012; 223(2):131-138 .