Dr. Steven Hochwald has been Chief of Gastrointestinal/Endocrine Surgery and Professor of Oncology at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center since April 2012. In addition, he is physician leader of the GI Service Line at Roswell Park. Prior to this he served as the Edward M. Copeland Professor of Surgical Oncology at the University of Florida, Chief of the Division of Surgical Oncology at the University of Florida and Chair of the Cancer Committee at Shands Cancer Center. He did his General Surgery residency at the NYU Medical Center in the Department of Surgery and both research and clinical fellowships in Surgical Oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. He has a BA from Johns Hopkins University with a MD from New York University School of Medicine. In 2017, he obtained an MBA with distinction from the University at Buffalo.
His research focuses on technical advances in minimally invasive upper gastrointestinal surgeries and developing new targets and agents for treatment of pancreatic and gastroesophageal malignancies. Dr. Hochwald has lectured both nationally and internationally on Western approaches to minimally invasive esophageal and gastric resection for malignancy and has published broadly on these topics. He has taught several courses and organized symposiums on minimally invasive upper GI surgery. He serves as Editor of the book entitled “Minimally Invasive Foregut Surgery for Malignancy”, Assistant Editor of “Mastery of Surgery’, and Editor-in-Chief of both “Complex General Surgical Oncology” and also a board review product in Surgical Oncology.
Dr. Hochwald is a member of many professional societies including the American Surgical Association, Southern Surgical Association and the Society of University Surgeons. He serves on the editorial boards of Anticancer Agents in Medicinal Chemistry and Annals of Surgical Oncology. In addition, he has served on several National Institutes of Health study sections and scientific advisory boards for the American Cancer Society as well as the Italian and Irish Governments. Furthermore, he is currently co-Chair of the GI translational research group at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center.
Dr. Hochwald is the editor of "Minimally Invasive Foregut Surgery for Malignancy: Principles and Practice," an anthology on surgery for stomach and esophageal cancers.
The book is available in hardcover and as an e-book.
Dr. Hochwald is the Editor-in-Chief of “Complex General Surgical Oncology."
- Zhang J, He DH, Zajac-Kaye M, Hochwald SN. A small molecule FAK kinase inhibitor, GSK2256098, inhibits growth and survival of pancreatic ductal adenocarcinoma cells. Cell Cycle. 2014 Oct 1;13(19):3143-9. doi: 10.4161/15384101.2014.949550.
- Hochwald SN, Cance WG. A FAK scaffold inhibitor disrupts FAK and VEGFR-3 signaling and blocks melanoma growth by targeting both tumor and endothelial cells. Cell Cycle. 2014 Aug 15;13(16):2542-53. doi: 10.4161/15384101.2015.941760.
- Ben-David K, Tuttle R, Kukar M, Oxenberg J, Hochwald SN. Laparoscopic Distal, Subtotal Gastrectomy for Advanced Gastric Cancer. J Gastrointest Surg. 2014 Oct 23. [Epub ahead of print]
- Tuttle R, Nurkin SJ, Hochwald SN. Ablative therapy for esophageal dysplasia and early malignancy: focus on RFA. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:642063. doi: 10.1155/2014/642063. Epub 2014 Jul 21.
- Oxenberg J, Hochwald SN, Nurkin S. Ablative therapies for colorectal polyps and malignancy. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:986352. doi: 10.1155/2014/986352. Epub 2014 Jun 26.
- Papenfuss WA, Kukar M, Attwood K, Kakarla VR, Chousleb S, Hochwald SN, Nurkin SJ. Transhiatal versus transthoracic esophagectomy for esophageal cancer: a 2005-2011 NSQIP comparison of modern multicenter results. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Sep;110(3):298-301. doi: 10.1002/jso.23637. Epub 2014 May 29.
- Singla S, Hochwald SN, Kuvshinoff B. Evolving ablative therapies for hepatic malignancy. Biomed Res Int. 2014;2014:230174. doi: 10.1155/2014/230174. Epub 2014 Apr 29.
- Ben-David K, Behrns K, Hochwald S, Rossidis G, Caban A, Crippen C, Caranasos T, Hughes S, Draganov P, Forsmark C, Chauhan S, Wagh MS, Sarosi G. Esophageal perforation management using a multidisciplinary minimally invasive treatment algorithm. J Am Coll Surg. 2014 Apr;218(4):768-74. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2013.12.033. Epub 2014 Jan 9.
- Lee HS, Chen M, Kim JH, Kim WH, Ahn S, Maeng K, Allegra CJ, Kaye FJ, Hochwald SN, Zajac-Kaye M. Analysis of 320 gastroenteropancreatic neuroendocrine tumors identifies TS expression as independent biomarker for survival. Int J Cancer. 2014 Jul 1;135(1):128-37. doi: 10.1002/ijc.28675. Epub 2014 Jan 6.
- Zhang J, Hochwald SN. The role of FAK in tumor metabolism and therapy. Pharmacol Ther. 2014 May;142(2):154-63. doi: 10.1016/j.pharmthera.2013.12.003. Epub 2013 Dec 9. Review.
- Nurkin SJ, Nava HR, Yendamuri S, LeVea CM, Nwogu CE, Groman A, Wilding G, Bain AJ, Hochwald SN, Khushalani NI. Outcomes of endoscopic resection for high-grade dysplasia and esophageal cancer. Surg Endosc. 2014 Apr;28(4):1090-5.
- Abbas H, Rossidis G, Hochwald SN, Ben-David K. Robotic esophagectomy: new era of surgery. Minerva Chir. 2013 Oct;68(5):427-33.
- Zhang J, Hochwald SN. Targeting receptor tyrosine kinases in solid tumors. Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2013 Oct;22(4):685-703. doi: 10.1016/j.soc.2013.06.010. Epub 2013 Jul 30. Review.
- Zhang J, Francois R, Iyer R, Seshadri M, Zajac-Kaye M, Hochwald SN. Current understanding of the molecular biology of pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013 Jul 17;105(14):1005-17. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djt135. Epub 2013 Jul 9. Review.
- Rossidis G, Browning R, Hochwald SN, Abbas H, Kim T, Ben-David K. Minimally invasive esophagectomy is safe in patients with previous gastric bypass. Surg Obes Relat Dis. 2014 Jan-Feb;10(1):95-100. doi: 10.1016/j.soard.2013.03.015. Epub 2013 Apr 22.
- Ben-David K, Kim T, Caban AM, Rossidis G, Rodriguez SS, Hochwald SN. Pre-therapy laparoscopic feeding jejunostomy is safe and effective in patients undergoing minimally invasive esophagectomy for cancer. J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 Aug;17(8):1352-8. doi: 10.1007/s11605-013-2231-4. Epub 2013 May 25.
- Ucar DA, Magis AT, He DH, Lawrence NJ, Sebti SM, Kurenova E, Zajac-Kaye M, Zhang J, Hochwald SN. Inhibiting the interaction of cMET and IGF-1R with FAK effectively reduces growth of pancreatic cancer cells in vitro and in vivo. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 2013 May;13(4):595-602.
- Zhang J, Hochwald SN. Plasma adiponectin: a possible link between fat metabolism and pancreatic cancer risk. J Natl Cancer Inst. 2013 Jan 16;105(2):79-80. doi: 10.1093/jnci/djs522. Epub 2012 Dec 14. No abstract available.
- Saied A, Salzman S, Hochwald SN, Trevino JG. Traumatic intraperitoneal rupture of an urachal leiomyosarcoma: unique presentation as hemorrhagic shock. Am Surg. 2012 Sep;78(9):E409-11. No abstract available.
- Kim T, Hochwald SN, Sarosi GA, Caban AM, Rossidis G, Ben-David K. Review of minimally invasive esophagectomy and current controversies. Gastroenterol Res Pract. 2012;2012:683213. doi: 10.1155/2012/683213. Epub 2012 Aug 2.