In 2016, I was the first author on a paper published in Blood: Targeting of the bone marrow microenvironment improves outcome in a murine model of myeodysplastic syndrome. (Feb4; 127(5): 616-25. I have an ongoing laboratory project in which I am testing the theory that improvement of residual normal hematopoiesis in myelodysplastic syndromes may be able to delay or stop clonal, dysfunctional hematopoiesis that is the hallmark of this group of diseases.
I am the site PI for a drug-company sponsored clinical trial to test an agent for treatment of acute gastrointestinal graft versus host disease. This trial will likely open at RPCI in the next several months. Additionally, I have written a protocol that is in the process of going through regulatory committees at RPCI. If approved, I will be the PI of this investigator initiated study in which haploidentical allogenic bone marrow transplants use peripheral blood as the source of hematopoietic stem cells rather than whole bone marrow.
- Targeting of the bone marrow microenvironment improves outcome in a murine model of myelodysplastic syndrome. Balderman SR, Li AJ, Hoffman CM, Frisch BJ, Goodman AN, LaMere MW, Georger MA, Evans AG, Liesveld JL, Becker MW, Calvi LM. Blood. 2016 Feb 4;127(5):616-25. doi: 10.1182/blood-2015-06-653113. Epub 2015 Dec 4. PMID: 26637787
- Biology of BM failure syndromes: role of microenvironment and niches. Balderman SR, Calvi LM. Hematology Am Soc Hematol Educ Program. 2014 Dec 5;2014(1):71-6. doi: 10.1182/asheducation-2014.1.71. Epub 2014 Nov 18. Review. PMID: 25696837
- Unusual Manifestations of Essential Monoclonal Gammopathy. II. Simulation of the Insulin Autoimmune Syndrome. Lichtman MA, Balderman SR. Rambam Maimonides Med J. 2015 Jul 30;6(3). doi: 10.5041/RMMJ.10212. PMID: 26241232
- Unusual Manifestations of Monoclonal Gammopathy: I. Ocular Disease. Balderman SR, Lichtman MA. Rambam Maimonides Med J. 2015 Jul 30;6(3). doi: 10.5041/RMMJ.10211. PMID: 26241228
- A history of the discovery of random x chromosome inactivation in the human female and its significance. Balderman S, Lichtman MA. Rambam Maimonides Med J. 2011 Jul 31;2(3):e0058. doi: 10.5041/RMMJ.10058. Print 2011 Jul. PMID: 23908816