Chief Clinical Operations Officer
Senior Vice President
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
Areas of Expertise:
Oncology patient care delivery
Ambulatory oncology services development
Oncology program strategic planning and program development
Oncology program facility design
Fall and injury reduction
Hematopoetic stem cell patient care delivery
Care coordination across the oncology care continuum
Evidence based practices to support improved clinical outcomes for nurses
Nurse sensitive quality indicators
Education and Training:
Maryville University, St. Louis, MO, Masters in Business Administration
Maryville University, St. Louis, MO, Masters of Science, Management
Maryville University, St. Louis, MO, Bachelor of Science in Nursing
Barnes College of Nursing, St. Louis, MO, Diploma in Nursing
Honors and Awards:
2013 - California State Legislature 2013 Woman of the Year
2006 - American College of Surgeons Commission on Cancer Award for Distinguished Service
2008 - 2016 - Senior Vice President, Chief Nurse and Patient Care Services Officer, City of Hope Medical Center, Duarte, CA
1999 - 2008 - Executive Director, Siteman Cancer Center at Barnes Jewish Hospital & Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO
1993 - 1999 - Clinical Service Line Director, Oncology Services, Barnes Jewish Hospital, St. Louis, MO
1989 - 1999 - Director, Medical Nursing, Hospital, St. Louis, MO
1978 - 1989 - Head Nurse, General Surgery, Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, MO
1977 - 1978 - Assistant Head Nurse, General Surgery, Barnes Hospital, St Louis, MO
1976 - 1977 - Staff Nurse, General Surgery, Barnes Hospital, St. Louis, MO
- Grant M, Hanson J, Johnson S, Idell C, Rutledge DN. Evidence-based practice for staff nurses. J Contin Educ Nurs. 2012 Mar;43(3):117-24. PubMed PMID: 21899231.
- Johnson S. It takes a team: creating a hematology/hematopoietic cell therapy day hospital. Nurs Adm Q. 2014 Jul-Sep;38(3):206-13. PubMed PMID: 24896573.
- Thomson B, Gorospe G, Cooke L, Giesie P, Johnson S. Transitions of Care: A Hematopoietic Stem Cell Transplantation Nursing Education Project Across the Trajectory. Clin J Oncol Nurs. 2015 Aug 1;19(4):E74-9. PubMed PMID: 26207720.
- Johnson S., Giesie P.,Ireland A., Thomson B., Rice D. On the scene: creating a care coordinator role at City of Hope. Nursing Admin Q. 2016 Jan-March; 40 (1) 39-50. PubMed PMID:26636233.
- Burhenn, P., Ferrell, B., Johnson, S., Hurria, A. Improving nurses knowledge about older adults with cancer. ONF 2016, 43(4), 497-504 DOI: 10.1188/16.ONF.497-504.