The basic operational workflow for prospective investigators (users) to utilize the resource is as follows:
Resource members interact closely with investigator/lab personnel throughout this process to ensure smooth and efficient workflow.
- An investigator (or personnel from his/her lab) directs an initial inquiry to Drs. Seshadri or Spernyak. A brief summary of the research goals of the project are also provided for review.
- An initial meeting is held with the investigator during which the feasibility of the project and the overall research plan is discussed. The investigator is also notified of the Resource service charges associated with the use the imaging instrumentation.
- Once deemed feasible, a formal service request form is completed by the investigator for access to the instrumentation. These requests include all pertinent information including animal protocols, laboratory personnel dedicated for the project and grant/funding account. A copy of the approved Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) protocol is also provided for the resource records. The investigator is requested to amend his/her IACUC protocol to include the resource service protocol for imaging procedures.
- The request (along with the IACUC amendment) is reviewed by the Resource staff and returned for any modifications.
- Following IACUC/IRB approval, users are provided access to the resource (entry codes to secure facility doors; resource user accounts; access to on-line resource scheduling calendars) and are added to the resource user database.
- Investigator lab personnel undergo training on use of the instrumentation prior to the start of the actual experimental study. Resource staff supervise operations during the initial use of the instrument to ensure the user is qualified to independently operate the instrumentation unsupervised.