The BMPK Shared Resource provides bioanalytical analysis, modeling and consultation services to support discovery-based research and pre-clinical/clinical research and drug development. These services include study design and method consultation, formulation development and preparation, determination of proper sample storage conditions, sample analysis, data compilation and correlations, and PK/PD modeling. Collaboration between BMPK and investigators, faculty, and staff are conducted through one-on-one meetings to prospectively plan and develop projects and grants, or to evaluate ongoing study conduct, milestones, and outcomes.
The BMPK shared resource offers a wide variety of analytical methods as well as capabilities to develop and validate new assays. BMPK provides highly sensitive measurements for numerous chemotherapeutic agents and their metabolites, along with endogenous compounds in a wide assortment of sample matrices (e.g., whole blood, plasma, serum, urine, cell pellets and media, xenografts, and a variety of tissue types from biodistribution studies) using innovative LC-MS, LC- MS/MS, UPLC, HPLC, CMIA, ELISA, and atomic absorption techniques.
Non-compartmental analysis (NCA) and PK/PD modeling and simulations are performed to gain insight into the mechanism of action and life cycle of cancer therapeutic agents as singular entities or in combination with other compounds, and to assess inter-individual and random variability within study populations. The information gained from past studies is used to optimize the design aspects of future research and clinical trials including dosing strategies and the selection of patient populations. The BMPK Shared Resource serves as an essential component of CCSG’s research efforts developing complementary collaborations between its bioanalytical and pharmacokinetic capabilities and the skill sets of other shared resources, such as genomics, biostatistics, laboratory animal, hematology, etc.
- Applied Biosystems 5500 QTrap triple quadrupole (ESI/APCI-LC/MS/MS)
- Applied Biosystems 5500 triple quadrupole (ESI/APCI-LC/MS/MS)
- Thermo Scientific TSQ Vantage triple quadrupole (ESI/APCI-LC/MS/MS)
- Applied Biosystems API3000 triple quadrupole (ESI LC/MS/MS)
- Waters Ultra Performance Liquid Chromatography (UPLC) system with fluorescence and UV detection
- Waters BioAlliance High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) system with fluorescence and UV detection
- Abbott i1000SR Architect chemiluminescent magnetic microparticle immunoassay (CMIA)
- Perkin Elmer Analyst 600 graphite furnace atomic absorption
- Biotek Synergy 96-well plate reader providing fluorescence and UV detection
- Tomtec Quadra 4 robotic handling system
BMPK Modeling Software
- Phoenix WinNonlin Professional: Non-compartmental and compartmental modeling
- ADAPT 5 and S ADAPT: individual compartmental PK and PK/PD modeling
- NONMEN: nonlinear mixed effect modeling software for population analysis to determine sources of variability in the PK and PD of a drug
- WinPOPT: provides information for PK and /or PK/PS sampling strategies
- SAS 9.3: used to manage and clean databases, and create graphics and tables