This five day on-site professional workshop provides an in-depth understanding of the biopsychosocial underpinnings of tobacco use and dependence as well as the conceptual and empirical framework for the evidence-based treatment of tobacco dependence. The comprehensive, interactive and training format supports the development of proficiencies in all of the Tobacco Treatment Specialist Core Competencies.
The goal of this program is to train professionals to become Tobacco Treatment Specialists with the competencies and skills to understand tobacco use in multiple contexts, perform comprehensive assessments of tobacco users, and provide evidence-based treatment of varying intensities in multiple modalities.
- Tobacco Treatment Specialists: roles, responsibilities, professional development, ethics and credentialing
- Overview of a comprehensive approach to tobacco control
- Evidence-based tobacco dependence treatment approaches
- Tobacco products: marketing, design, prevalence of use and health consequences
- Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS)
- Treating tobacco use and dependence
- Principles of evidence-based, patient-centered, behavior change treatment strategies
- Comprehensive clinical assessment of the tobacco user
- Basic pharmacotherapy for tobacco use and advanced pharmacologic treatment planning
- Diversity and health disparities
- Relapse prevention and recovery
- Telephone, individual and group treatment models
- Documentation, coding, billing and program evaluation
All different types of health professionals who interact with individuals that use tobacco can benefit from this training including doctors, nurses, physician assistants, health educators and pharmacists.
Roswell Park’s Tobacco Treatment Specialist Training Program has had a tremendous impact on past graduates. Hear what some of them had to say:
“I appreciated that all faculty were aware of adult learning needs, like providing faculty feedback to improve curriculum. Instructors are incredibly knowledgeable and I am grateful to have had this experience with them.”
“I now feel trained to run a few community groups; I will practice more awareness and empathy among diverse groups struggling to quit smoking.”
“All of the presenters were engaging and effective. I loved the topic and delivery of tobacco products, design and marketing. The introduction to pharmacotherapy lectures was very informative. I also loved the use of actual products in tobacco design presentation. The motivational Interviewing lecture was very informative and the cultural humility lecture had great discussion and informational videos. This got me to think and be more aware. The systems implementation activity was very informative and practicing role-play was helpful.”
Frequently Asked Questions
Will This Program Allow Me to Apply for the National Certificate for Tobacco Treatment Practice?
When you complete this workshop and all the evaluation components of the program, we will provide you with documentation that you can use to apply for the National Certificate in Tobacco Treatment Practice (NCTTP).
Do You Offer CEU's?
All trainees will be provided a record of attendance upon completion of the program. Please contact us to discuss your specific CEU needs.
What is the Cancellation/Refund Policy?
Workshops have limited space and food and space must be arranged ahead of time. If you experience unforeseen circumstances that prevent your attendance, please notify us immediately. If you cancel your registration at least 14 days prior to the workshop, your fee is refundable less a $50 processing charge. No refunds will be provided for cancellations within 14 days of the workshop date. Substitutions must be approved by the course director. There will be a $50 fee charged for each substitution. The request for a registration refund must include the tax identification number of the company or institution if registration was paid by a company or institution check.
Roswell Park Cessation Services reserves the right to cancel any activities prior to the scheduled date if circumstances require (e.g., inclement weather events that are likely to prohibit travel and attendance and/or make travel unsafe). If a workshop is cancelled, each registrant will be notified by telephone, email, and/or the preferred communication method given on the registration form. In case of activity cancellation, we will refund the full registration fee. Upon cancellation, the liability of Roswell Park Cessation Services is limited to the registration fee. We reserve the right to limit the number of participants in a program and are not responsible for any expenses incurred by an individual whose registration is not confirmed and for whom space is not available.
I’m Coming From Out of Town. Where Can I Stay While Taking the Course?
- Wyndham Garden Buffalo Downtown: 716-845-0112 (located on the Roswell Park Campus)
- Holiday Inn Express & Suites Buffalo Downtown: 716-854-5500 (0.9 miles from Roswell Park)
- Best Western on the Avenue: 716-886-8333 (0.6 miles from Roswell Park)
- Lenox Hotel & Suites: 716-884-1700 (0.8 miles from Roswell Park)
- Hyatt Regency Buffalo/Hotel and Conference Center: 716-856-1234 (1.0 mile from Roswell Park)
Roswell Park is conveniently located on the Buffalo Niagara Medical Campus, which can be easily accessed by car, cab, Uber/Lyft and subway.
If you have further questions regarding the Roswell Park Tobacco Treatment Specialist Training Program, please contact Laurie.Krupski@RoswellPark.org or call 716-845-1300 x 2299.