Fentanyl Transdermal Patch
How Do I Take This Medication?
- Fentanyl comes as a patch and is applied to your skin.
- Select a clean, dry area of skin above your waist on your front or back. Do not put the patch over burns, cuts, or irritated skin.
- Do not cut or damage the patch. You may get too much medicine, which can be very dangerous.
- When putting on each new patch, choose a different place within the areas listed above. Be sure to remove the old patch before applying a new one.
- Do not use soap, lotion, alcohol, or oil on your skin before you apply the patch. Wash the skin with clear water only. Let your skin dry completely before applying the patch.
- Do not shave the skin where you will apply the patch. If the area is hairy, clip the hair with scissors, but do not shave.
- A fentanyl patch is applied every 72 hours, unless your doctor instructs differently.
Why Am I Using This Medication?
Fentanyl is used to relieve moderate to severe chronic pain.
How Does It Work?
Fentanyl is an opioid (narcotic) analgesic. It works by decreasing the brain and nervous system’s response to pain.