Diagnostic Radiology Department Services Include:
- Routine radiographic (x-ray) examinations
- GI fluoroscopic studies
- CT scans
- MR Scans
- Ultrasound studies
- Interventional/Angiographic studies
Radiology procedures performed at Roswell Park, that apply exclusively to (or almost exclusively to) cancer patients:
- Intraoperative ultrasound of the liver — critical for evaluating the liver prior to resection or therapy, including ultrasound-guided radiofrequency ablation, cryoablation, and guided ablation via alcohol injection.
- Imaging-guided biopsies of lesions.
- Use of on-site real-time cytology, as we biopsy, to assure adequate sampling and sample processing
- Securing central venous access i.e. inserting Mediports and large-bore or multi-bore central venous lines) in the angiography suite, under fluoroscopic guidance, with conscious sedation, rather than in the operating room
- MR Spectroscopy of the brain is able to differentiate between radiation change and recurrent tumor.
- Total body tumor localization studies with radiolabeled antibodies or gallium-67 require multiple-day total body scans.
- Total body radioiodine scanning and therapy of metastatic thyroid cancer, Nuclear Medicine Department, now incorporates dosimetric profiling, to maximize the effect of I-131 administration. This dosimetry is unique to Roswell Park and involves daily visits to the department over a one-week period. Daily blood samples and probe measurements are obtained to assess whole body retention of radioiodine and radiation exposure to the bone marrow, along with serial imaging at 24 and 72 hours. This process is more accurate but very time consuming.
- Diagnostic mammograms.
- Stereotactic core breast biopsies.
- Lymphoangioscintigraphy (melanoma, sentinel node localization).
- Lymphoangioscintigraphy (breast, sentinel node localization).
- Colorectal Cancer Study (CEA-scan).
- Neuroendocrine Tumor Study (radiolabeled somatostain receptor).
- Prostate Cancer Study (radiolabeled Prostascint).
- Tumor Viability Study (radiolabeled Sestamibi).
- Peritoneal Ovarian Cancer Therapy (P-32 solution).
- Therapy of skeletal pain (Sm-153-EDTMP). (chest, bone and abdominal plain films, etc.). Clinic patients should come to the appropriate area with their requisitions, and will be handled immediately. are scheduled by appointment. Most of these require special preparation. Necessary pre-examination instructions will be dispensed to the patient by the clinic. is by appointment. Breast ultrasounds are performed when a specific indication arises. like angiograms, percutaneous transhepatic colangiograms, and caval portography. There is a complete array of services, including placement of venous filters, certain biopsies, stent placements, and placement of central venous access devices.