Dr. Torka is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Non-Hodgkin Lymphoma Hodgkin Lymphoma Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Multiple Myeloma
Special Interests:Development of new drugs that target novel pathways for the treatment of lymphoma Improving stem cell transplant outcomes in patients with non-Hodgkin lymphoma via graft manipulation Harnessing the immune system to combat multiple myeloma
About Pallawi Torka
"Treat every patient like family" is my mantra. No two patients are the same and neither should be their treatment plan. When I meet a new patient for the first time, I go over their whole story in detail and analyze every minute detail of their case to ensure that together, we come up with the best plan of care, which incorporates not just cutting edge science, but also individual beliefs, and common sense. Hearing that "you have cancer" is bad enough; my goal is to walk the difficult and often confusing road with my patients and their families, and do everything I can to make the journey easier. My research focuses on lymphoproliferative cancers i.e. lymphoma and myeloma. Being part of a comprehensive cancer center such as Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center gives me the privilege of applying novel research principles and using promising drugs for treatment of my patients long before they are available anywhere else. I strive every day to improve the lives of people suffering from lymphoma / myeloma and hope to see an end to this scourge in my lifetime.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Lymphoma Section, Department of Medicine
Education and Training:
- 2006 - MBBS - Jawaharlal Institute of Post-graduate Medical Education and Research (JIPMER), Pondicherry, India.
- 2013 - SUNY Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, NY
- 2009 - All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, India
- 2016 - Roswell Park Cancer Institute/State University of New York at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- 2013 - American Board of Internal Medicine
- 2006 - Medical Council of India
- American Society of Hematology
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- 2016 - University of Buffalo Graduate Medical Education committee
- 2015-2016 - Chief Hematology Fellow, Hematology-Oncology Fellowship Program, University of Buffalo/Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York
- 2014-2015 - Chief Oncology Fellow, Hematology-Oncology Fellowship Program, University of Buffalo/Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, New York
- 2014-2016 - University of Buffalo Resident Committee (UBRC)
- 2014-2015 - UBRC representative for Program Director’s Advisory Committee
- 2012 - President’s Student Experience Steering Committee, Upstate Medical University
- 2011-2012 - Resident Advisory Committee, SUNY Upstate Medical University
Honors & Awards:
- 2016 - National Comprehensive Cancer Network (NCCN) Oncology Fellows Program travel grant
- 2015 - American Society of Blood and Marrow Transplantation (ASBMT) travel grant
- 2015 - GME Quality Improvement Award, University of Buffalo
- 2015 - Society of Hematologic Oncology (SOHO) travel grant
- 2015 - AIIMSonians of America best research poster award
- 2014 - American Society of Hematology (ASH) Abstract Achievement Award
- 2014 - Frawley Research Scholarship, University of Buffalo
- 2013 - David B Duggan Award, SUNY Upstate Medical University, given to the Graduating Resident who is an Outstanding Leader, Academician, and Clinician, All the While Passionate about Life Outside of Medicine
- 2012 - New York State Thoracic Society Annual Scientific Assembly Best Poster award
- 2012 - AMA Best Quality Improvement Research Poster Award
- 2012 - Medicine Clerkship Resident Teaching Award
- 2011 - 2013 - Resident of the Year consecutively for 3 years, Department of Medicine, SUNY Upstate Medical University
- 2005 - Best outgoing MBBS graduate
- 2005 - University Gold Medal in Obstetrics and Gynecology, Surgery and Community Medicine
- 2002 - Winner of the Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana (KVPY) fellowship- National Research Scholarship program by Department of Science and Technology, Government of India.
- Landsburg DJ, Falkiewicz MK, Maly J, Blum KA, Howlett C, Feldman T, Mato AR, Hill BT, Li S, Medeiros LJ, Torka P, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri F, Reddy NM, Singavi A, Fenske TS, Chavez JC, Kaplan JB, Behdad A, Petrich AM, Bast MA, Vose JM, Olszewski AJ, Costa C, Lansigan F, Gerson JN, Barta SK, Calzada O, Cohen JB, Lue JK, Amengual JE, Rivera X, Persky DO, Peace DJ, Nathan S, Cassaday RD. Outcomes of Patients With Double-Hit Lymphoma Who Achieve First Complete Remission. J Clin Oncol. 2017 Jul 10;35(20):2260-2267. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2017.72.2157. Epub 2017 May 5. PMID: 28475457; PMCID: PMC6366297.
- Torka P, Wallace P, Zhang Y, Chen G, Ho C, Balderman S, Ross M, Paiva B, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ, McCarthy PL, Hahn T. Analysis of Immune Reconstitution after Autologous Hematopoietic Cell Transplant (AHCT) in Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma (DLBCL) and Mantle Cell Lymphoma (MCL) Patients Mobilized with Granulocyte Colony Stimulating Factor (G-CSF), with or without Plerixafor. Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplant. 2016; 22(3); S155- S156.
- Torka P, Patel P, Tan W, Wilding G, Bhat SA, Czuczman MS, Lee KP, Deeb G, Neppalli V, Mavis C, Hernandez Ilizaliturri FJ. Augmenting Neutrophil Function By Administration of Peg-Filgrastim Potentiates Rituximab and Is Safe in Patients with Indolent B-Cell Non-Hodgkin Lymphomas: Results of a Phase II Study. Blood. 2015; 126(23):3975
- Gandhi S, Torka P, Hernandez-Ilizaliturri FJ. The Emerging role of Checkpoint Inhibitors in Lymphoid Malignancies. The Journal of Targeted Therapies in Cancer. 2015; 12.15:53-62.
- Torka P, Hernandez Ilizaliturri FJ, Belliotti S, Mavis C, Gu J, Czuczman MS. Inhibition of the Nuclear Factor Kappa B (NFkB)/Interferon Regulatory Factor 4 (IRF4) Signaling Pathway in Activated B-cell (ABC) Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma (DLBCL) by Combining MLN4924, a Novel NEDD8 Activating Enzyme Inhibitor (NAE) and Ibrutinib. Blood. 2014; 124(21):1768. doi: 10.1182/blood.V124.21.1768.1768.