You may experience constipation related to various medications which may be prescribed for you during your cancer treatment.
Following are some tips which may assist in the management of constipation.
- Increase your daily fiber intake by eating more fruits, vegetables, whole grain products, beans, nuts, dried fruit, such as raisins and prunes. A dietitian will gladly guide you with the adjustment to your diet that is appropriate for you.
- Choose fresh fruits, canned fruit, or fruit juice, such as apple or prune.
- Remember to increase your fluid intake while increasing your fiber intake, especially, grain fiber. You may also wish to add high water content foods such as cantaloupe, honeydew melon, grapes, watermelon, manderin oranges or fruit and jello combinations.
- Increase your physical activity on a daily basis as you are able, even if it is 10 minutes at a time (per doctor’s recommendations).
- Take your medications for constipation as prescribed for you.
- Try drinking hot beverages, such as tea or coffee.