Specializing In:Comprehensive Dental Care Treatment of patients with special needs Oral and Dental Prosthetics
Special Interests:Dental treatment of special needs patients, including the entire range of physical, medical, mental and sensory disabilities Oral and dental care for patients diagnosed with head and neck cancers Dynamics of health care management in an educational setting
About Nirmala Tasgaonkar
In 1980, I earned my degree in dentistry from the University of Bombay (now University of Mumbai) and specialized in prosthetic dentistry. After some years of working in India, the science of dentistry was developing at a breathtakingly rapid rate, so I wanted to learn more at other centers of excellence and see the world.
My quest took to me to Saudi Arabia, England, Scotland, Wales and finally to Upstate New York. At each place, I had opportunities to interact with a variety of people, see their concern for their oral health and treat them in various settings. Along the way, I was learning more dentistry, getting licensed, doing advanced exams and honing my skill, all in tandem. It has been an exhilarating ride so far. I have worked with and learned from some of the most distinguished teachers in my profession, and the adventure continues here, at Roswell Park. I have been very lucky in my choice of work and enjoy all aspects of dentistry.
I'm grateful to God that humans have a total of 52 teeth in their lifetime because they will always need help keeping their mouths healthy, so there will always be a job for a well-trained dentist!
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Associate Professor of Oncology
- Dentistry Maxillofacial Prosthetics Department
State University of New York at Buffalo School of Dental Medicine
- Associate Professor Oral Oncology
Education and Training:
- 1974-1980 - BDS, MDS - Dentistry and Prosthetic Dentistry, University of Mumbai (formerly University of Bombay), Mumbai, India
- 2010-2013 - MS, MBA - Simon Graduate School of Business, University of Rochester, Rochester NY
- 2008-2009 - General Practice Residency, Strong Memorial Hospital, Rochester, NY
- 2006-2008 - Advanced Education in General Dentistry, Eastman Dental Center, Rochester, NY
- 1993 - Fellowship in Dental Surgery, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK
- 2015 - Diplomate American Board of Special Care Dentistry
- 2004 - Membership in Special Needs Dentistry, Royal College of Surgeons, Edinburgh, UK
- Special Care Dentistry Association
- American Academy of Implant Dentists
- NYS Taskforce for Office for People With Developmental Disabilities
- 2018-2019 - Dentist, Finger Lakes Community Health, Ovid, NY
- 2011-2018 - Assistant Professor, Eastman Institute of Oral Health, University of Rochester, NY
- 2009-2011 - Clinical Instructor Eastman Institute of Oral Health, University of Rochester, NY
- 2001-2006 - Senior Dental Officer North Herts & Stevenage Primary Care Trust, Warrington Community Dental Center, St Helens Community Dental Center, UK
- 1998-2006 - Dental Surgeon, Liverpool University Dental Hospital, Liverpool, UK
- Kopycka-Kedzierawski DT, Meyerowitz C, Litaker MS, Heft MW, Tasgaonkar N, Day MR, Porter-Williams A, Gordan VV, Yardic RL, Lawhorn TM, Gilbert GH; National Dental PBRN Collaborative Group. Management of dentin hypersensitivity by practitioners in The National Dental Practice-Based Research Network. J Am Dent Assoc. 2017 Oct;148(10):728-736. doi: 10.1016/j.adaj.2017.05.003. Epub 2017 Jun 16. PMID: 28629602; PMCID: PMC5623173.