Dr. Walter is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Malignant bowel obstruction Opioid safety and monitoring Prognostication Pediatric palliative medicine Medical education
About Michelle Walter
I was born and raised in Western New York and am privileged to continue to live here and serve this community. My career in Palliative Medicine has allowed me to work in many settings including home-based palliative care and hospice, hospitals across WNY, and now Roswell Park providing inpatient and outpatient palliative care to adults and children. I also serve as the program director for the University at Buffalo's Hospice and Palliative Medicine fellowship and am involved in training not only our palliative fellows but medical students, residents and fellows from other disciplines learning more about palliative care.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Assistant Professor of Oncology
- Department of Supportive and Palliative Care
Jacobs School Of Medicine And Biomedical Sciences, State University of New York at Buffalo
- Clinical Assistant Professor
- Assistant Program Director, Hospice and Palliative Medicine Fellowship at University at Buffalo
Education and Training:
- 2004-2008 – DO – Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine, Erie, PA
- 2018-2012 – Chief Resident – Combined Internal Medicine and Pediatrics, University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- 2012-2013 – Palliative Medicine - University at Buffalo, Buffalo, NY
- 2014 - Board Certified in Hospice and Palliative Medicine
- 2013 – Board Certified in Internal Medicine
- 2012 – Board Certified in Pediatrics
- 2012 – Licensed in New York State
- American Academy of Hospice and Palliative Medicine
Honors & Awards:
- 2020-2022 — Buffalo Spree Magazine "Top Doctor" Palliative Medicine
- 2021 — Buffalo Business First “Top 40 Under 40”
- Sigma Sigma Phi Medical Honor Society
Wey W, Mian M, Calabrese R, Hansen E, Walter M, Wang C, Case A. “Palliative medical management of inoperable malignant bowel obstruction with “triple therapy”: dexamethasone, octreotide and metoclopramide. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2020; Oct 21
Case A, Walter M, Pailler M, Stevens L, Hansen E. “A Practical approach to nonmedical opioid use in palliative care patients with cancer: using the PARTNERS framework.” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2020; Dec60(6):1253-1259
Hansen E, Mitchell M, Cruz Oliver D, Alghanim F, Walter M, Case A, Smith T, Knowlton A. “Chronic pain, functional status, and life satisfaction are associated with patients living with HIV discussion advanced care planning with their family or friends.” Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. Elsevier Publishing, Spring 2019.
Hansen E, Walter M, Case A. “Cancer-related fatigue in patients of immune checkpoint inhibitor therapy.” SITC’s Guide to Managing Immunotherapy Toxicity. Springer Publishing, March 2019.
Gray Farber J, Prieur MG, Roach C, Shay R, Walter M, Borowitz D, Dellon E. “Difficult conversations: discussing prognosis with children with cystic fibrosis.” Pediatric Pulmonology. March 2018.
Walter M, Case A. 2017. Opioids in Oncology Care. Oncology Times, 39(11), 1-21.
Case A, Walter M. “Prognostication.” The Art and Science of Palliative Medicine. AME Publishing Company. March 2014.