Roswell Park Breast Cancer Program Recognized for its High Standard of Care for Patients
BUFFALO, N.Y. — Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center has been recognized for its excellence in caring for patients in its multidisciplinary Breast Center. The National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC) reaccredited Roswell Park for three years. The cancer center received the award after a rigorous independent evaluation.
Upon completion of the assessment, an NAPBC surveyor highlighted many aspects of the patient-centered care provided at Roswell Park, observing in a written summary:
- The Breast Imaging Center is a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence.
- The radiation and medical oncologists are excellent.
- The nursing staff is an asset to the program. They provide specialized knowledge and skill in the understanding and care of the breast patient.
- The Breast Cancer Resource Center provides a wealth of patient support and information throughout the course of diagnosis, treatment and survivorship. The materials (they provide) represent the needs of the patient population.
- The Breast Program provides valuable education, as well as prevention and early detection community outreach program.
“Roswell Park is a well-coordinated multidisciplinary team that provides patient-centered evidence-based breast care. Patients are rigorously discussed in the weekly cancer conference that is dedicated to guideline based prospective breast cancer cases,” the NAPBC reviewer concluded. “The conference is well attended and utilizes NCCN guidelines and relevant literature to provide well designed breast cancer management. The physical space is beautiful with great attention to detail to provide additional comfort to patients, family members and caretakers. The program highlights include program leadership, comprehensive management, clinical pathways, patient navigation and clinical trials accrual. This is an exceptional team providing exceptional evidence-based care to their patients.”
“We are excited to receive this reaccreditation. The team in the Breast Center works hard each day to provide patients with the best care. We are very fortunate to work with such skilled professionals at Roswell Park. If a patient finds a lump, we know they are in great hands from diagnosis to treatment and beyond,” says Kazuaki Takabe, MD, PhD, FACS, Clinical Chief of Breast Surgery and the Alfiero Foundation Endowed Chair in Breast Oncology.
For more information about Roswell Park’s Breast Center, visit: RoswellPark.org/cancer/breast
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center is a community united by the drive to eliminate cancer’s grip on humanity by unlocking its secrets through personalized approaches and unleashing the healing power of hope. Founded by Dr. Roswell Park in 1898, it is the only National Cancer Institute-designated comprehensive cancer center in Upstate New York. Learn more at www.roswellpark.org, or contact us at 1-800-ROSWELL (1-800-767-9355) or ASKRoswell@RoswellPark.org.
Brittni Smallwood, Media Relations Specialist