Dr. Adekunle "Kunle" Odunsi is Deputy Director, The Robert, Anne & Lew Wallace Endowed Chair in Cancer Immunotherapy, Executive Director of the Center for Immunotherapy, Professor, Department of Immunology and The M. Steven Piver Professor and Chair, Department of Gynecologic Oncology at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center. He provides operational oversight for the scientific, clinical research and educational missions of Roswell Park, and monitors all research-related initiatives, steering development of programs and policies designed to transfer scientific discoveries to clinical settings.
He joined RoswelI's staff in 2001 as an Attending Surgeon in the Division of Gynecologic Oncology, Department of Surgical Oncology. After earning his medical degree from the University of Ife, Ile-Ife, Nigeria, in 1984, Dr. Odunsi completed postgraduate training in Obstetrics and Gynecology at the Rosie Maternity and Addenbrookes Hospitals, University of Cambridge, UK. He was admitted to the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists in 1991.
Dr. Odunsi completed a research fellowship in Molecular Oncology and earned his Ph.D. at the Imperial Cancer Research Fund Laboratories, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, University of Oxford, UK. Subsequently, he completed residency training in Obstetrics & Gynecology at the Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT, and clinical fellowship in Gynecologic Oncology at Roswell Park. He is a Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists in the United Kingdom. He is also a Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. In 2018, Dr. Odunsi was elected into the National Academy of Medicine, a distinguished lifetime designation that is considered one of the highest honors in health and medicine.
Dr. Odunsi is licensed by New York State and certified in Obstetrics & Gynecology by the American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology. He is also board certified in the sub-specialty of Gynecologic Oncology.
Dr. Odunsi’s research interests include the molecular characterization of tumor antigens in ovarian cancer and their application to the development of vaccine therapies for the disease.
Dr. Odunsi has authored or co-authored more than 300 journal publications and book chapters. He is Associate Editor for BMC Cancer. He also is an Ad Hoc Reviewer for the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, BLOOD, BMC Cancer, Cancer Immunity, Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy, Cancer Letters, Cancer Research, Clinical Cancer Research, Expert Opinion on Biological Therapy, Fertility and Sterility, Future Oncology, Gynecologic Oncology, International Journal of Cancer, Journal of Clinical Pathology, Journal of the Society for Gynecologic Investigation, The Lancet, Mayo Clinic Proceedings, Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, Oncogene, Oncology PLoS ONE and the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, U.S.A.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Deputy Director
- Chair, Department of Gynecologic Oncology
- The M. Steven Piver Professor of Gynecologic Oncology
- Executive Director, Center for Immunotherapy
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo
- Professor of Gynecology & Obstetrics
Education and Training:
- MD - University of Ife, College Of Health Sciences, Ile-Ife, Nigeria
- PhD - Imperial Cancer Research Fund Laboratories, Weatherall Institute of Molecular Medicine, John Radcliffe Hospital, Oxford, Oxfordshire, UK
- Obstetrics & Gynecology, Rosie Maternity and Addenbrookes Hospitals, University of Cambridge, UK
- Obstetrics & Gynecology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT
- Gynecologic Oncology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY
- Obstetrics & Gynecology, American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Gynecologic Oncology, American Board of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Honors & Awards:
- 2018 - National Academy of Medicine Member