Dr. Guru is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Bladder Cancer Prostate Cancer
Special Interests:Application of robotic surgery in urologic oncology Robot-assisted urinary reconstruction for bladder cancer Establishment of a virtual reality training program for robotic surgery Surgical simulation for surgical training especially robot-assisted surgery
About Khurshid Guru
Khurshid A. Guru, MD, has served as Chair of the Department of Urology at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center since 2017, in addition to serving as Director of Robotic Surgery since 2005. He completed his residency training in Urologic Surgery (2005) and a Robotic Surgery Fellowship (2004) at the Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Health System, MI. Dr. Guru developed the first validated robotic surgery curriculum for safe transfer of surgical skills for future robotic surgeons, and leads the International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium with over 55 surgeon members in over 23 countries.
Dr. Guru is one of the early fellowship-trained robotic surgeons (2004) with an experience of over 10,000 surgical console hours and has performed over 3,000 procedures, pioneering the cystectomy program at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center. Having performed live demonstrations of robotic surgery in 13 countries at international seminars, his experience in robot-assisted surgery, especially his 600 robot-assisted radical cystectomies, has been shared with over 400 surgeons from more than 15 countries.
His research interest has also been in the application of robotic surgery for urinary reconstruction. Dr. Guru developed one of the first robotic surgical simulators and works extensively in safe human-machine interface, cognitive interaction and developing safe environments during robot-assisted surgery. Dr. Guru developed the first validated robotic surgery curriculum for safe transfer of surgical skills for future robotic surgeons. His major interest is bladder cancer and robotic surgical education and its incorporation. He leads the International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium with over 55 surgeon members in over 23 countries. He also leads the Applied Technology Laboratory for Advanced Surgery (ATLAS) Program at Roswell Park.
Dr. Guru is a member of the American Urological Association, Cancer Society of Kashmir. He founded a non-profit foundation in 2007 which supports health and education-related programs in Kashmir. His foundation supports children in government-run schools in his native home, Kashmir and an innovative Junior Robotics Surgery Challenge here in his home town Buffalo, NY. He has authored and co-authored over 250 several journal articles, abstracts and book chapters.
In 2015, Dr. Guru's work was featured in the British Journal of Urology International. Read his article, Cognitive Skills Assessment During Robot-assisted Surgery and watch the accompanying video.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Chair, Department of Urology
- Director, Robotic Surgery
- Director, Applied Technology Laboratory for Advanced Surgery (ATLAS)
- Robert P. Huben Endowed Professor of Oncology
- Professor of Oncology
Education and Training:
- University of Mysore, Karnataka, India
- 2005 - Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI
- 2004 - Vattikuti Urology Institute, Henry Ford Health System, Detroit, MI
- Urology and Nephrology Center, Mansoura University, Mansoura, Egypt
- Veterans Administration Medical Center, Togus, ME
- American Board of Urology
- Leader, International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium
- Member, American Urological Association
- Member, Cancer Society of Kashmir
Featured on Cancer Talk
Showing all3 of 10 CollapseView all
- Shafiei SB, Hussein AA, Guru KA. Cognitive learning and its future in urology: surgical skills teaching and assessment. Curr Opin Urol. 2017 Jul;27(4):342-347. doi: 10.1097/MOU.0000000000000408. PubMed PMID: 28445190.
- Hussein AA, Ahmed YE, Kozlowski JD, May PR, Nyquist J, Sexton S, Curtin L, Peabody JO, Abol-Enein H, Guru KA. Robot-assisted approach to 'W'-configuration urinary diversion: a step-by-step technique. BJU Int. 2017 Jul;120(1):152-157. doi: 10.1111/bju.13824. Epub 2017 Mar 22. PubMed PMID: 28220593.
- Hussein AA, May PR, Ahmed YE, Saar M, Wijburg CJ, Richstone L, Wagner A, Wilson T, Yuh B, Redorta JP, Dasgupta P, Kawa O, Khan MS, Menon M, Peabody JO, Hosseini A, Gaboardi F, Pini G, Schanne F, Mottrie A, Rha KH, Hemal A, Stockle M, Kelly J, Tan WS, Maatman TJ, Poulakis V, Kaouk J, Canda AE, Balbay MD, Wiklund P, Guru KA. Development of a Patient and Institutional-Based Model for Estimation of Operative Times for Robot-Assisted Radical Cystectomy: Results from the International Robotic Cystectomy Consortium. BJU Int. 2017 Jun 16. doi: 10.1111/bju.13934. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28620985.
- Hussein AA, Hinata N, Dibaj S, May PR, Kozlowski JD, Abol-Enein H, Abaza R, Eun D, Khan MS, Mohler JL, Agarwal P, Pohar K, Sarle R, Boris R, Mane SS, Hutson A, Guru KA. Development, validation and clinical application of Pelvic Lymphadenectomy Assessment and Completion Evaluation: intraoperative assessment of lymph node dissection after robot-assisted radical cystectomy for bladder cancer. BJU Int. 2017 Jun;119(6):879-884. doi: 10.1111/bju.13748. Epub 2017 Jan 18. PubMed PMID: 27987527.
- Cavuoto LA, Hussein AA, Vasan V, Ahmed Y, Durrani A, Khan S, Cole A, Wang D, Kozlowski J, Ahmad B, Guru KA. Improving Teamwork: Evaluating Workload of Surgical Team during Robot-Assisted Surgery. Urology. 2017 Jun 1. pii: S0090-4295(17)30503-4. doi: 10.1016/j.urology.2017.05.012. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 28579070.