Special Interests:The role of soluble mediators and the tumor immune microenvironment in the response of prostate cancer following androgen deprivation therapy. Identifying the immuno-suppressive cell populations involved in prostate cancer recurrence following androgen deprivation. In collaboration with Kent Nastiuk: determining the role of TGFß family members (myokines) in the onset of androgen deprivation therapy-induced sarcopenia and the role of myokines in tumor angiogenesis. Clinical cancer genomics and next-generation sequencing.
About John Krolewski
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Professor of Oncology
- Distinguished Member, Department of Cancer Genetics and Genomics
Education and Training:
- 1984 - MD/PhD - Medicine-Biochemistry, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY
- 1986 - Anatomic Pathology - New York University Medical Center, New York, NY
- 1989 - Resident/Research Fellow - Department of Pathology, New York University Medical Center, New York, NY
- New York State Physician's License
- New York State Department of Health, CLEP Certificate of Qualification: Oncology: Molecular Detection and Genetic Testing
- 2012 - The Endocrine Society
- 1997 - American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- 1996 - Association of Molecular Pathologists
- 1990 - American Association for the Advancement of Science
- 2012-2015 - Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine & Dentistry, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY
- 2009-2012 - Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA
- 1998-2009 - Associate Professor, Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, School of Medicine, University of California, Irvine, CA
- 1997-1998 - Associate Professor and Attending Pathologist, Department of Pathology, Columbia University, New York, NY
- 1990-1997 - Assistant Professor and Attending Pathologist, Department of Pathology, Columbia University, New York, NY
Honors & Awards:
- 1997 - Pluto Society
- 1992-1997 - Hirschl / Weill-Caulier Career Scientist Award
- 1992-1995 - American Cancer Society Junior Faculty Award
- 1989-1992 - Leukemia Society of America Special Fellowship
- 1987-1989 - American Cancer Society Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1986-1987 - NRSA Pathobiology Traineeship, at NYU
- 1977-1984 - NRSA Medical Scientist Traineeship, at NYU
- 1977 - John Asinari Award for Undergraduate Research in Biology, at MIT
Full Publications list on PubMed
- Eng KH, Szender JB, Etter JL, Kaur J, Poblete S, Huang RY, Zhu Q, Grzesik KA, Battaglia S, Cannioto R, Krolewski JJ, Zsiros E, Frederick PJ, Lele SB, Moysich KB, Odunsi KO. Paternal lineage early onset hereditary ovarian cancers: A Familial Ovarian Cancer Registry study. PLoS Genet. 2018 14:e1007194. PMCID:PMC5813894.
- Lerman I, Garcia-Hernandez ML, Rangel-Moreno J, Chiriboga L, Pan C, Nastiuk KL, Krolewski JJ, Sen A, Hammes SR. Infiltrating myeloid cells exert protumorigenic actions via neutrophil elastase. Mol Cancer Res. 2017 15:1138-1152. PMCID:PMC5581693.
- Liu C, Liu R, Zhang D, Deng Q, Liu B, Chao HP, Rycaj K, Takata Y, Lin K, Lu Y, Zhong Y, Krolewski J, Shen J, Tang DG. MicroRNA-141 suppresses prostate cancer stem cells and metastasis by targeting a cohort of pro-metastasis genes. Nat Commun. 2017 8:14270. PMCID:PMC5264244.
- Pan C, Singh S, Sahasrabudhe DM, Chakkalakal JV, Krolewski JJ, Nastiuk KL. Tgfß superfamily members mediate androgen deprivation therapy-induced obese frailty in male mice. Endocrinology. 2016 157:4461-4472. PMCID:PMC5414572.
- Sha K, Yeh S, Chang C, Nastiuk KL, Krolewski JJ. TNF signaling mediates an enzalutamide-induced metastatic phenotype of prostate cancer and microenvironment cell co-cultures. Oncotarget. 2015 6:25726-40. PMCID:PMC4694862.