Dr. Kane III is a Buffalo Spree Top Doctor! See all of our physicians who made this year's list.
Specializing In:Surgical oncology Soft tissue sarcomas at all anatomic locations: extremity, truncal, intra-abdominal/retroperitoneal, head and neck and gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST) Melanoma Rare soft tissue and skin tumors Merkel cell carcinoma Cytoreductive/Hyperthermic Intraperitoneal Chemotheraphy (HIPEC) Carcinomatosis, primary peritoneal mesothelioma Isolated regional therapy (Isolated limb perfusion (ILP) and isolated limb infusion (ILI)) Sarcoma
Special Interests:Development of a novel fully recombinant heat shock protein-gp100 melanoma vaccine for a phase I clinical trial Correlation of soft tissue sarcoma tissue microarray biomarker expression with patient outcome Use of pre-clinical models to examine novel/combination therapies for isolated regional therapy and soft tissue sarcomas
About John M. Kane III
I am an Associate Professor of Surgery and Chief of the Melanoma/Sarcoma service at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center. My interest in melanoma, sarcoma, and regional therapies dates back to the beginning of my practice in the year 2000. I am the main sarcoma surgeon at Roswell Park and treat soft tissue sarcomas at all anatomic locations; extremity, truncal, intra-abdominal/retroperitoneal, head and neck, and gastrointestinal stromal tumors (GIST). I am a member of major sarcoma groups including the NCCN Sarcoma Panel, the Connective Tissue Oncology Society, and the Radiation Therapy Oncology Group (RTOG) Sarcoma Committee. I have been the lead investigator for several sarcoma trials at Roswell Park, have authored multiple papers on the treatment of soft tissue sarcomas, and have been an invited speaker on this topic at national meetings. I oversee our weekly sarcoma/soft tissue tumor multidisciplinary conference where all new sarcoma and rare soft tissue tumor cases are discussed in order to develop the optimal treatment plan.
I also treat unusual benign and locally aggressive soft tissue tumors. These include desmoid/aggressive fibromatosis, dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans (DFSP), neurogenic tumors such as neurofibroma and schwannoma, large and atypical intramuscular lipomatous tumors, solitary fibrous tumor, ganglioneuroma, and adrenal myelolipoma. As noted above, our weekly multidisciplinary conference allows for a thorough discussion of the patients with these various tumors. In some cases, surgery may not even be necessary.
I have a significant clinical interest in melanoma and other aggressive cutaneous malignancies such as Merkel cell carcinoma. Our Institution has been offering sentinel lymph node biopsy since 1996 and I have personally performed over 450. For patients with nodal metastatic disease, I frequently perform axillary dissections (very different from what is done for breast cancer), superficial and deep groin dissections, and even less common lymphadenectomies in the epitrochlear and popliteal basins. I have advanced the regional therapies program at Roswell for patients with isolated extremity disease (in transit melanoma, Merkel cell carcinoma, and some sarcomas) that is no longer amenable to simple surgical excision. Isolated limb perfusion (ILP) or isolated limb infusion (ILI) can still be potentially curative in these situations. Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center is one of only two institutions in New York State that performs these isolated regional therapies.
As another type of isolated regional therapy, I developed the cytoreduction/hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemoperfusion (HIPEC) program at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center in 2002. I routinely perform cytoreductive surgery/HIPEC for appendiceal neoplasms, colorectal cancer, mesothelioma, and other peritoneal surface malignancies. In addition to patients with these diseases in WNY, I have provided this treatment option for the province of Ontario.
Aside from my clinical responsibilities, I serve as the Surgical Oncology Fellowship Program Director and on the Executive Council of the Society of Surgical Oncology. I am a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and a member of multiple surgical and oncologic societies, including the Society of Surgical Oncology, the American Society of Clinical Oncology, and the Association for Academic Surgeons. I have served as the past president for both the WNY Chapter of the American College of Surgeons and the Buffalo Surgical Society. I was also previously the WNY State Chair for the ACS Commission on Cancer.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Professor of Oncology
- Chair, Surgical Oncology
- Chief, Melanoma/Sarcoma Service, Department of Surgical Oncology
- Program Director, Surgical Oncology Fellowship
Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences, University at Buffalo
- Associate Professor of Surgery
Education and Training:
- MD - Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD
- Resident - Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Research Fellowship - Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA
- Clinical Fellow (SSO approved) - Department of Surgical Oncology - Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY
- American Board of Surgery
- Association for Academic Surgery
- Fellow-Society of Surgical Oncology
- Western New York American College of Surgeons
- Radiation Therapy Oncology Group
- Buffalo Surgical Society
- Connective Tissue Oncology Society
- Association for Surgical Education
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American College of Surgeons
- American College of Surgeons Oncology Group
Honors & Awards:
- 2010 - University at Buffalo Department of Surgery, Third Year Resident's Best Educational Surgical Rotation
- 2009 - Roswell Park Golden Apple Award, for the most outstanding Surgical Oncology faculty educator
- 2006 - University at Buffalo School of Medicine Commendation for Teaching Excellence Award
- 2005 - Roswell Park Golden Apple Award, for the most outstanding Surgical Oncology faculty educator
- 2000 - Roswell Park Holyoke Award for the most outstanding Surgical Oncology fellow
- 1999 - Berlex Oncology Foundation Award recipient, Clinical Pharmacology of Anticancer Agents Workshop; Lansdowne, VA
- 1991 - Alpha Omega Alpha
- 1991 - Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Hewlett-Packard Top Medical Graduate Award
- 1987 - Summa Cum Laude, Allegheny College
- 1986 - Phi Beta Kappa
- Roswell Park Principal Investigator: PH 47505- Multicenter Selective Lymphadenectomy Trial II (MSLT II): A Phase III Multicenter Randomized Trial of Sentinel Lymphadenectomy and Complete Lymph Node Dissection Versus Sentinel Lymphadenectomy Alone in Cutaneous Melanoma Patients with Molecular or Histopathological Evidence of Metastases in the Sentinel Node (open)
- Roswell Park Principal Investigator: ACOSOG Z9001- “A Placebo-Controlled Randomized Trial of Adjuvant STI571 Therapy in Patients Following Complete Resection of Moderate-Risk Primary Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (GIST)” (closed 4/07)
- Roswell Park Principal Investigator: RTOG 0330- “A Pilot Phase II Study of Pre-Operative Radiation Therapy and Thalidomide (Ind 48832; Nsc 66847) for Low Grade Primary Soft Tissue Sarcoma or Pre-Operative Maid/Thalidomide/Radiation Therapy for High/Intermediate Grade Primary Soft Tissue Sarcoma of The Extremity or Body Wall” (closed 3/07)
- Roswell Park Principal Investigator: RP 01-02- A Phase I Pharmacokinetic/Pilot Study of Doxil with Long Term Low Level Whole Body Hyperthermia. (closed 3/07)
- Roswell Park Principal Investigator: RTOG S-0132- A Phase II Trial of Neoadjuvant/Adjuvant STI-571 (Gleevec Nsc #716051) for Primary and Recurrent Operable Malignant GIST Expressing the Kit Receptor Tyrosine Kinase (CD117) (closed 6/06)
- Invited Talk: Standardization of HIPEC –Indications. Fifth International Symposium on Regional Cancer Therapies, Carolina, Puerto Rico, February 20 – 22, 2010
- Workshop entitled “Establishing a Regional Therapy Program”. Second International Symposium on Regional Cancer Therapies. San Juan, Puerto Rico; February 25, 2007
- Invited Moderator-Second International Symposium on Regional Cancer Therapies. San Juan, Puerto Rico; February 25, 2007
- Talk entitled “Current Concepts in Surgical Management of Peritoneal Carcinomatosis: Who & What?” at the Canadian Association of General Surgeons. Montreal, Canada; September 9, 2005
- Invited Talk: Management of Nodal and In-Transit Melanoma, Grand Rounds at Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, November 17, 2011
- Invited Talk: Management of Nodal and in Transit Melanoma Including Isolated Regional Therapy. Baystate Medical Center. Springfield, MA, April 21, 2011
- Invited Moderator: 6th International Symposium on Regional Cancer Therapies, Incline Village, Nevada February 19-21, 2011
- Invited Talk: Multimodality Therapy for Soft Tissue Sarcomas; The Surgeon’s Role in the Management of Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumors (GIST); Treatment of Retro Peritoneal Sarcomas; Management of Nodal and In Transit Melanoma Including Isolated Regional Therapy. 39th Annual Phoenix Surgical Symposium. Scottsdale, AZ; February 10-12, 2011
- Invited Talk: Challenges in Soft Tissue Sarcoma: Prognostic Factors Including Margins of Resection. American College of Surgeons 96th Annual Clinical Congress, Washington DC; October 7, 2010
- Invited Talk: Management of Nodal Metastatic and In Transit Melanoma. Third Annual GHS Multidisciplinary Cancer Symposium: Changing Paradigms in Management of Melanoma, Greenville, SC; March 27, 2010
- Talk entitled “Cytoreductive Surgery and Intraperitoneal Hyperthermic Chemoperfusion for the Treatment of Peritoneal Surface Malignancies”. Tripler Army Medical Center Academic Surgery Rounds. Honolulu, HI; May 13, 2009
- Invited Moderator- Fourth International Symposium on Regional Cancer Therapies, Marco Island, FL; February 23, 2009.
- Talk entitled “Cytoreduction and HIPEC for Foregut Cancers” Fourth International Symposium on Regional Cancer Therapies, Marco Island, FL; February 23, 2009.
- Talk entitled “Can Surgery Prevent Cancer” Tripler Army Medical Center Academic Surgery Rounds. Honolulu, HI; May 13, 2008
- Invited Moderator-Third International Symposium on Regional Cancer Therapies. Palm Desert, CA; February 16, 2008
- Talk entitled “Advances in the Surgical Treatment of Melanoma” Tripler Army Medical Center Academic Surgery Rounds. Honolulu, HI; March 1, 2006
- Talk entitled “Management of Carcinomatosis from UGI Malignancies” First International Symposium on Regional Cancer Therapies. Snowmass, CO; January 16, 2006
- Talk entitled “Advances in the Treatment of Sarcomas” Tripler Army Medical Center Academic Surgery Rounds. Honolulu, HI; September 21, 2005
- Talk entitled “Overview of Peritoneal Perfusion and Published Results” Innovations in Surgical Oncology Symposium. University of Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh, PA; September 17, 2004
- Grand Rounds entitled “Evaluation of Suspicious Soft Tissue Masses”. Catholic Health, Sisters of Charity Hospital, Buffalo, NY, May 22, 2012
- Talk entitled “Management of Melanoma in Pregnancy” Breast & Gynecologic Cancers: 2009 Update. Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY, September 26, 2009
- Talk entitled “Melanoma”. UB Family Medicine Residency lecture. Buffalo, NY; May 1, 2008
- Grand Rounds entitled “Cytoreductive Surgery and Intraperitoneal Hyperthermic Chemoperfusion for the Treatment of Peritoneal Surface Malignancies”. UB Department of Surgery Grand Rounds. Buffalo, NY; April 3, 2008
- Grand Rounds entitled “Cytoreductive Surgery and Intraperitoneal Hyperthermic Chemoperfusion for the Treatment of Peritoneal Surface Malignancies”. Roswell Park Surgical Oncology Grand Rounds. Buffalo, NY; September 12, 2007
- Talk entitled “Current Surgical Therapy for Melanoma” Advances in Melanoma Symposium. Buffalo, NY; June 17, 2006
- Talk entitled “Regional Multimodality Therapy for Carcinomatosis” Wisconsin Surgical Club-UB meeting. Buffalo, NY; May 2006
- Talk entitled “Advances in the Treatment of GIST” Cayuga Medical Center Tumor Board. Ithaca, NY; July 13, 2005
- Grand Rounds entitled “Advances in the Treatment of GIST” University at Buffalo Community Surgeons. Buffalo, NY; January 29, 2005
- Talk entitled “Staging and Surgical Therapy for Primary and Recurrent GIST”. Optimal Management of Patients with GIST-NCCN Update-Roswell Park Cancer Institute, Buffalo, NY; November 6, 2004
- Grand Rounds entitled “Advances in the Treatment of Sarcomas” WCA Hospital. Jamestown, NY; September 29, 2004
- Grand Rounds entitled “Advances in the Treatment of Carcinomatosis” Millard Gates Hospital. Buffalo, NY; April 5, 2004
- Grand Rounds entitled “Advances in the Treatment of Sarcomas” Olean General Hospital. Olean, NY; August 13, 2003
- Grand Rounds entitled “Advances in the Treatment of Carcinomatosis” Mercy Hospital. Buffalo, NY; February 12, 2003
- Grand Rounds entitled “Advances in the Treatment of Sarcomas” Millard Gates Hospital. Buffalo, NY; January 6, 2003
- Grand Rounds entitled “Advances in the Treatment of Melanoma” WCA Hospital. Jamestown, NY; October 30, 2002
- Grand Rounds entitled “Advances in the Treatment of Melanoma” Niagara Falls Memorial Medical Center. Niagara Falls, NY; October 9, 2002
Featured on Cancer Talk
Showing all3 of 5 CollapseView all
- Nurkin SJ, Kane JM 3rd. Margin status, local recurrence, and survival: correlation or causation? Surg Oncol Clin N Am. 2012 Apr;21(2):255-67. doi: 10.1016/j.soc.2011.12.002. PMID: 22365518.
- Wang D, Zhang Q, Blanke CD, Demetri GD, Heinrich MC, Watson JC, Hoffman JP, Okuno S, Kane JM, von Mehren M, Eisenberg BL. Phase II trial of neoadjuvant/adjuvant imatinib mesylate for advanced primary and metastatic/recurrent operable gastrointestinal stromal tumors: long-term follow-up results of Radiation Therapy Oncology Group 0132. Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Apr;19(4):1074-80. doi: 10.1245/s10434-011-2190-5. Epub 2011 Dec 28. Erratum in: Ann Surg Oncol. 2012 Jul;19(7):2420. PMID: 22203182; PMCID: PMC3800166.
- Kane JM 3rd, Harris J, Kraybill WG, Harmon DC, Ettinger DS, Lucas DR, Delaney TF, Wang D, Curran WJ, Eisenberg BL. Thromboembolic Events Associated with Thalidomide and Multimodality Therapy for Soft Tissue Sarcomas: Results of RTOG 0330. Sarcoma. 2012;2012:659485. doi: 10.1155/2012/659485. Epub 2012 Apr 24. PMID: 22619566; PMCID: PMC3348636.
- Qian J, Yi H, Guo C, Yu X, Zuo D, Chen X, Kane JM 3rd, Repasky EA, Subjeck JR, Wang XY. CD204 suppresses large heat shock protein-facilitated priming of tumor antigen gp100-specific T cells and chaperone vaccine activity against mouse melanoma. J Immunol. 2011 Sep 15;187(6):2905-14. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.1100703. Epub 2011 Aug 10. PMID: 21832164; PMCID: PMC3169704.
- Zeitouni NC, Giordano CN, Kane JM 3rd. In-transit Merkel cell carcinoma treated with isolated limb perfusion or isolated limb infusion: a case series of 12 patients. Dermatol Surg. 2011 Mar;37(3):357-64. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2011.01883.x. Epub 2011 Feb 16. PMID: 21324044.
- Turaga KK, Beasley GM, Kane JM 3rd, Delman KA, Grobmyer SR, Gonzalez RJ, Letson GD, Cheong D, Tyler DS, Zager JS. Limb preservation with isolated limb infusion for locally advanced nonmelanoma cutaneous and soft-tissue malignant neoplasms. Arch Surg. 2011 Jul;146(7):870-5. doi: 10.1001/archsurg.2011.139. PMID: 21768436; PMCID: PMC4515974.
- Meguerditchian AN, Asubonteng K, Young C, Lema B, Wilding G, Kane JM 3rd. Thick primary melanoma has a heterogeneous tumor biology: an institutional series. World J Surg Oncol. 2011 Apr 14;9:40. doi: 10.1186/1477-7819-9-40. PMID: 21492474; PMCID: PMC3090362.
- Ito F, Camoriano M, Seshadri M, Evans SS, Kane JM 3rd, Skitzki JJ. Water: a simple solution for tumor spillage. Ann Surg Oncol. 2011 Aug;18(8):2357-63. doi: 10.1245/s10434-011-1588-4. Epub 2011 Feb 8. PMID: 21301970; PMCID: PMC5778406.
- Najarian DJ, Morrison C, Sait SN, Meguerditchian AN, Kane J 3rd, Cheney R, Zeitouni NC. Recurrent giant cell fibroblastoma treated with Mohs micrographic surgery. Dermatol Surg. 2010 Mar;36(3):417-21. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2009.01459.x. Epub 2010 Jan 19. PMID: 20100251.
- Demetri GD, Antonia S, Benjamin RS, Bui MM, Casper ES, Conrad EU 3rd, DeLaney TF, Ganjoo KN, Heslin MJ, Hutchinson RJ, Kane JM 3rd, Letson GD, McGarry SV, O'Donnell RJ, Paz IB, Pfeifer JD, Pollock RE, Randall RL, Riedel RF, Schupak KD, Schwartz HS, Thornton K, von Mehren M, Wayne J; National Comprehensive Cancer Network Soft Tissue Sarcoma Panel. Soft tissue sarcoma. J Natl Compr Canc Netw. 2010 Jun;8(6):630-74. doi: 10.6004/jnccn.2010.0049. PMID: 20581298.
- Wang XY, Sun X, Chen X, Facciponte J, Repasky EA, Kane J, Subjeck JR. Superior antitumor response induced by large stress protein chaperoned protein antigen compared with peptide antigen. J Immunol. 2010 Jun 1;184(11):6309-19. doi: 10.4049/jimmunol.0903891. Epub 2010 May 3. PMID: 20439916; PMCID: PMC3024709.
- Meguerditchian AN, Wang J, Lema B, Kraybill WG, Zeitouni NC, Kane JM 3rd. Wide excision or Mohs micrographic surgery for the treatment of primary dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans. Am J Clin Oncol. 2010 Jun;33(3):300-3. doi: 10.1097/COC.0b013e3181aaca87. PMID: 19858696.
- Beasley GM, Caudle A, Petersen RP, McMahon NS, Padussis J, Mosca PJ, Zager JS, Hochwald SN, Grobmyer SR, Delman KA, Andtbacka RH, Noyes RD, Kane JM, Seigler H, Pruitt SK, Ross MI, Tyler DS. A multi-institutional experience of isolated limb infusion: defining response and toxicity in the US. J Am Coll Surg. 2009 May;208(5):706-15; discussion 715-7. doi: 10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2008.12.019. Epub 2009 Mar 26. PMID: 19476821.
- Smith R, Pak Y, Kraybill W, Kane JM 3rd. Factors associated with actual long-term survival following soft tissue sarcoma pulmonary metastasectomy. Eur J Surg Oncol. 2009 Apr;35(4):356-61. doi: 10.1016/j.ejso.2008.01.004. Epub 2008 Feb 21. PMID: 18294807.
- Meguerditchian AN, Cheney RT, Kane JM 3rd. Nevus spilus with synchronous melanomas: case report and literature review. J Cutan Med Surg. 2009 Mar-Apr;13(2):96-101. doi: 10.2310/7750.2008.07090. PMID: 19298778.
- Eisenberg BL, Harris J, Blanke CD, Demetri GD, Heinrich MC, Watson JC, Hoffman JP, Okuno S, Kane JM, von Mehren M. Phase II trial of neoadjuvant/adjuvant imatinib mesylate (IM) for advanced primary and metastatic/recurrent operable gastrointestinal stromal tumor (GIST): early results of RTOG 0132/ACRIN 6665. J Surg Oncol. 2009 Jan 1;99(1):42-7. doi: 10.1002/jso.21160. PMID: 18942073; PMCID: PMC2606912.
- Santillan AA, Delman KA, Beasley GM, Mosca PJ, Hochwald SN, Grobmyer SR, Andtbacka RH, Noyes RD, Kane JM, Ross MI, Tyler DS, Zager JS. Predictive factors of regional toxicity and serum creatine phosphokinase levels after isolated limb infusion for melanoma: a multi-institutional analysis. Ann Surg Oncol. 2009 Sep;16(9):2570-8. doi: 10.1245/s10434-009-0563-9. Epub 2009 Jun 19. PMID: 19543771.
- Agrawal S, Kane JM 3rd, Guadagnolo BA, Kraybill WG, Ballo MT. The benefits of adjuvant radiation therapy after therapeutic lymphadenectomy for clinically advanced, high-risk, lymph node-metastatic melanoma. Cancer. 2009 Dec 15;115(24):5836-44. doi: 10.1002/cncr.24627. PMID: 19701906.
- Samie FH, Kane JM 3rd, Zeitouni NC. Repair of large abdominal defects with prostheses following Mohs micrographic surgery: case series and review of literature. Dermatol Surg. 2008 Mar;34(3):403-6. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2007.34080.x. Epub 2008 Jan 31. PMID: 18248477.
- Esquivel J, Sticca R, Sugarbaker P, Levine E, Yan TD, Alexander R, Baratti D, Bartlett D, Barone R, Barrios P, Bieligk S, Bretcha-Boix P, Chang CK, Chu F, Chu Q, Daniel S, de Bree E, Deraco M, Dominguez-Parra L, Elias D, Flynn R, Foster J, Garofalo A, Gilly FN, Glehen O, Gomez-Portilla A, Gonzalez-Bayon L, Gonzalez-Moreno S, Goodman M, Gushchin V, Hanna N, Hartmann J, Harrison L, Hoefer R, Kane J, Kecmanovic D, Kelley S, Kuhn J, Lamont J, Lange J, Li B, Loggie B, Mahteme H, Mann G, Martin R, Misih RA, Moran B, Morris D, Onate-Ocana L, Petrelli N, Philippe G, Pingpank J, Pitroff A, Piso P, Quinones M, Riley L, Rutstein L, Saha S, Alrawi S, Sardi A, Schneebaum S, Shen P, Shibata D, Spellman J, Stojadinovic A, Stewart J, Torres-Melero J, Tuttle T, Verwaal V, Villar J, Wilkinson N, Younan R, Zeh H, Zoetmulder F, Sebbag G; Society of Surgical Oncology Annual Meeting. Cytoreductive surgery and hyperthermic intraperitoneal chemotherapy in the management of peritoneal surface malignancies of colonic origin: a consensus statement. Society of Surgical Oncology. Ann Surg Oncol. 2007 Jan;14(1):128-33. Epub 2006 Oct 28. doi: 10.1245/s10434-006-9185-7. PMID: 17072675.
- Gushchin V, Demmy TL, Kane JM 3rd. Surgical management of metastatic peritoneal or pleural disease. Semin Oncol. 2007 Jun;34(3):215-25. doi: 10.1053/j.seminoncol.2007.03.009. PMID: 17560983.