Specializing In:Precision Medicine Nuclear Medicine Nuclear Cardio-Oncology Theranostics
Research Interests:Nuclear Cardio-Oncology Theranostics
About Jean-Luc Urbain
A native of Belgium, I earned my Medical Degree at the University of Louvain, Belgium, and then pursued residency training in Internal Medicine and Nuclear Medicine at the University Hospital of the University of Louvain in Brussels, Belgium. I subsequently obtained a Ph.D. in Genetics and Molecular Biology at Temple University in Philadelphia.
As a Professor of Imaging, Medicine and Biology for more than two decades, I have held leadership and executive positions in Medical Imaging and Medicine in Belgium at the University of Leuven, in Canada at the University of Western Ontario and in the United States at Temple University, Fox Chase Cancer Center, The Cleveland Clinic, the VA Administration and now Wake Forest University/Baptist Medical Center and now Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center.
During my career career I have had the opportunity and privilege to visit hospitals and medical centers and give lecture on all continents. I do have extensive experience and expertise in committees and boards leadership, in the management of integrated health care systems and patient advocacy groups and at regional, national and international levels of government. I have also served as consultant and advisor for Pharmaceutical, Radiopharmaceutical and Medical Systems companies. I have worked closely with national and international medical associations and government health authorities to mitigate the major health and medical isotopes crises of 2007-2008, analyzed and helped establish medical resources needs, benchmarks and allocation for key medical service areas.
I was appointed as Secretary of the Belgian Society of Nuclear Medicine in the early 1990s; as President of the Canadian Association of Nuclear Medicine (CANM 2006-2011) and President of the Easter Great Lakes Chapter of the SNMMI (2010-2012). In 2021 and 2022 I assume the Presidency of the World Federation of Nuclear Medicine and Biology and I currently served on numerous SNMMI committees on radiopharmaceutical therapies. My current interests are in Precision Medicine and Theranostics, Graduate and Postgraduate Physicians Education, Patients’ Education and Advocacy.
Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Professor of Oncology, Diagnostic Radiology, Nuclear Medicine
- Director of Nuclear Medicine
- Vice Chair of Theranostics
- Department of Radiology/Nuclear Medicine
Education and Training:
- 1999 - PhD - Molecular Biology and Genetics, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA
- 1980 - MD - Catholic University of Louvain, Brussels, Belgium
- 1984-1986 - Nuclear Medicine, Catholic University of Louvain - St Luc University Hospital, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- 1980-1984 - Internal Medicine, Catholic University of Louvain - St Luc University Hospital, Louvain-la-Neuve, Belgium
- 1986-1987 - Diagnostic Imaging, Temple University Hospital, Philadelphia, PA
- Internal Medicine - Catholic University of Louvain Medical School- Belgian Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health
- Nuclear Medicine - Catholic University of Louvain Medical School- Belgian Ministry of Education and Ministry of Health
- Nuclear Medicine - American Board of Nuclear Medicine
Honors & Awards:
- CANM-GE Radiant Fund
- India-Homi Jehangir Bhabba Award
Added-value of SPECT/CT to lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymphadenectomy in gynaecological cancers. Tarik Z Belhocine; Michel Prefontaine; Dominique Lanvin; Monique Bertrand; Irina Rachinsky; Helen Ettler; Pamela Zabel; Larry W Stitt; Akira Sugimoto; Jean-Luc Urbain. Am J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 3, 182 (2013)
Clinical utility of FDG PET/CT in the staging of patients with potentially curable esophageal carcinoma. John J. You, MD, MSc,Rebecca K.S. Wong, Gail Darling, Karen Gulenchyn, Jean-Luc Urbain, and William K. Evans. J Thorac Oncol. 2013;8: 1563–1569
Coagulation Factor and Theranostics: A New Paradigm in Molecular Imaging. JLUrbain
J Nucl Med. 2016; 57(1):7-8.
Theranostics: Nuclear Medicine at its best. JL Urbain. Le Patient 2017
Theranostics Series: The merging of drug therapy and diagnostics, Pangea-ePatient 2018. JL Urbain
Theranostics Radiopharmaceuticals: A Universal Challenging Educational Paradigm in Nuclear Medicine. JNM 2023 in press