Patients are referred to Genetic Screening by their health care providers or by self-referral. For referral inquiries or more information, please call our Cancer Information Program at 1-800-ROSWELL (1-800-767-9355). An information specialist will complete a brief genetics questionnaire with you over the phone and we will contact you about an appointment.
If you are a physician’s office, you can refer a patient by faxing the referral information (including patient’s name, date of birth, contact information, personal and family history of cancer and reason for referral) directly to our office at 716-845-5720.
At your appointment our Clinical Genetics Counselors will perform the following:
- Cancer risk assessment
- Genetic pedigree (a diagram of your family tree) analysis
- Discussion about the genetic factors associated with specific cancers
- Recommendations for cancer screening and prevention
- Options for genetic testing and participation in research and registries, if applicable
- Address individual concerns about genetic issues
- Address personal, psychological, social, ethical and legal issues involved cancer genetic testing