The Department of Radiation Medicine at Roswell Park offers a four-year residency program beginning at the PGY-II level. Our program takes advantage of the combined resources of Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center (RPCI) and the Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences (UB).
Prior to entering the program, candidates must complete their first year of postgraduate clinical training in internal medicine, family practice, obstetrics/gynecology, surgery or surgical specialties, pediatrics, a categorical radiation oncology year, or a transitional year. The program meets all the requirements of the American Board of Radiology (ABR) and is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education (ACGME).
There are a total of six resident positions in our program. Clinical rotations occur only at Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center. Residents work one-on-one with attending physicians and are encouraged to take a lead in patient management. Call is on a weekly rotating basis and taken from home.
Instruction in radiation physics and radiation biology is offered every year. Residents are required to complete a research project and attendings encourage residents to undertake other clinical or basic science research initiatives besides what is required. Funding is available for participation in national conferences.
The program encompasses multiple radiation treatment techniques including conformal external beam radiation therapy, intensity modulated radiation therapy, gamma knife stereotactic radiosurgery, orthovoltage therapy and interstitial and intracavity brachytherapy.
Chairman of the Department
Residency Program Director
The program underwent its last site review in 2010. As was the case in 2005, the program was given no citations and the longest possible five year cycle.
During this site review, the program was also given a commendation for a notable practice.
A process or practice that a Review Committee or other ACGME committee deems worthy of notice. Notable practices are shared through the ACGME website or other ACGME publications to provide programs and institutions with additional resources for resident education. Notable practices do not create additional requirements for programs or institutions.
The Committee identified the following program component as a 'notable practice':
The program has implemented Competency-Based Electronic evaluations of the residents for the major conferences of the program, together with evaluation of faculty mentors. The program description stated that there are electronic instruments to evaluate the morning PowerPoint seminar, the Friday noon case conference, Morbidity and Mortality conferences, and Journal Club.
RPCI's Department of Radiation Medicine residency program offers the opportunity to practice in an NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center — one of only 47 in the country. Roswell Park is among the top 4 percent cancer centers in the U.S. Our treatment technology includes Varian TrueBeam™, Elekta Gamma Knife Perfexion and Superficial/Orthovoltage therapy.
Other department features include:
- High dose rate (HDR) suite for HDR interstitial/intracavitary brachytherapy implants
- Unsealed radiation sources (e.g., SIR-sphere, TheraSphere microspheres) for liver-directed therapy
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery unit and suite
Joining the residency program at RPCI's Department of Radiation Medicine comes with the following perks:
- Low cost of living in Buffalo, NY
- Generous annual education stipend
- Work in your first two years of residency can earn you up to a full year of research time
- Small program size lends itself to:
- Collegiate and friendly atmosphere
- Significant program structure input from residents
- Great program flexibility with responsiveness to residents requests/needs/special interests
- Chance to work alongside Physician Assistants (PAs) in the department as part of clinical, disease-site teams
- Great location in hospital
- Ground-floor, all-in-one department
- Views of Kaminski Park, featuring lunch tables and benches for outdoor eating, and a Farmers Market during the summer
- Technology-friendly department/Institute
- iPads for use during clinical training
- iPhone or iOS/Android app-based two-way paging system
Radiation Medicine residents also enjoy the following academic benefits:
- One-to-one resident-to-attending ratio
- Self-designed/self-taught didactics and lecture series designed by residents with faculty mentorship
- Work with students from other educational programs (Dosimetry and Medical Physics) within Radiation Department
- Our program encourages and supports resident-led research including:
- Strong and well-rounded training
- The opportunity to play an important role in a multidisciplinary setting
- Collegial/direct interaction with attending physicians (surgeons, medical oncologists, radiologists and pathologists) outside of the department
Residents, Faculty & Alumni
The Department of Radiation Medicine residency program currently has four residents in training (two to join in July 2017) and nine faculty physicians. See a complete list of our current residents and faculty.
As of 2016, all graduating residents have passed their board exams. Learn more about Roswell Park's Alumni of Radiation Medicine (ARM) and see their career placements.
Everyone can find something fun to do in Western New York! Local highlights include:
- RPCI events such as The Ride for Roswell and Tree of Hope
- Canalside concert series in downtown Buffalo
- Skiing and snowboarding at local resorts like Holiday Valley and Kissing Bridge
- Beautiful parks such as Chestnut Ridge Park and Letchworth State Park
- Niagara Falls
- Annual festivals including the Italian Heritage Festival, Wingfest and Taste of Buffalo
- Professional sports teams including the Buffalo Bills, Buffalo Sabres and Buffalo Bisons
- Close proximity to wineries and shopping at Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario
- Arts and entertainment in Buffalo's Theatre District and at Shea's Performing Arts Center
For more information about applying to the Residency Program in Radiation Oncology, please call 716-845-1180.