During the first year, fellows participate in one-month clinical rotations at Roswell Park on the following services:
- Breast and Genitourinary Care Centers
- Thoracic and Sarcoma and Melanoma (STM) Care Centers
- Gastrointestinal and Head and Neck Care Centers
- Leukemia Service
- Lymphoma and Myeloma Service
- Blood and Marrow Transplantation Service
They also spend time at the Veterans Administration Western New York Healthcare system of Buffalo (Buffalo VA) on a combined hematologic and oncologic consultation service in conjunction with clinics in these same areas. Additional required electives include gynecologic oncology, neurooncology, hospice and palliative care, radiation oncology, and solid tumor inpatient care.
During the second year, fellows participate in a variety of rotations in benign hematology at UB Department of Medicine clinical sites:
- Buffalo VA Hospital/State University of New York at Buffalo (SUNY-UB)
- Erie County Medical Center
- Private office setting of Buffalo Medical Group
- John R. Oishei Children’s Hospital of Buffalo
- Hemophilia Center of Western New York
- Rochester General Hospital (Rochester, NY)
Dedicated rotations in Hematopathology at Roswell Park and exposure in local blood bank and coagulation laboratory settings are required.
Malignant hematology exposure occurs during the general oncology clinics at the Buffalo VA Hospital and at Roswell Park during month-long disease-specific rotations in Leukemia, Lymphoma/Myeloma, and Blood and Marrow Transplantation (BMT). The Roswell Park BMT Division is a FACT-accredited clinical program focused on autologous and allogeneic stem cell transplantation for patients with hematological cancers, aplastic anemia, and select solid tumors.