The Western New York Breast Resource Center (WNYBRC) is a component of the Multidisciplinary Breast Cancer Treatment Program at Roswell Park Cancer Institute. Team members help those concerned about breast cancer issues or those diagnosed with breast cancer address the challenges of diagnosis and treatment by providing a wide range of breast cancer information and referrals to many support services.
Reliable, current breast cancer information related to screening, prevention, diagnosis, the latest surgery techniques, chemotherapy and hormone therapies, clinical trials, survivorship and end of life issues is available for patients and their caregivers. The WNYBRC’s lending library features print and video resources - from medical textbooks, consumer guides, and survivor stories - to storybooks and coloring books for the youngest family members. When treatment ends, patients can find services to enhance their wellness as they transition into cancer survivorship. Special services are available to women and their families who are dealing with metastatic breast cancer.
Supportive components to the program include:
- Chemotherapy clinic tours
- Free wigs, scarves, hats for patients on chemotherapy who are dealing with hair loss
- Referrals to Look Good Feel Better makeover programs sponsored by the American Cancer Society
- Referrals to breast prosthesis and undergarment fitters
- Information and referrals to local breast cancer support groups, financial assistance programs, and transportation resources
- Information on other Roswell Park and community support services
- Tobacco cessation information and support
- Referrals to local, regional and national breast cancer advocacy programs
- Information on breast cancer risk and prevention programs
The WNYBRC is open Monday through Friday, from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. Evening hours are available by appointment and can be made by calling the Center at 716-845-4432. WNYBRC is located on the second floor of the hospital in in the Breast Center, Room #2302.