Medical Laboratory Scientist
The Medical Laboratory Scientist is responsible for specimen processing, test performance and for reporting test results. Performs high complexity molecular laboratory test procedures in a timely manner as assigned; obtains and interprets data for diagnosis and treatment of disease; performs related laboratory technology duties. Follows the laboratory's procedures for specimen handling and processing, test analyses, reporting and maintaining records of patient test results; maintains records that demonstrate that proficiency testing samples are tested in the same manner as patient specimens; adheres to the laboratory's quality control policies, document all quality control activities, instrument and procedural calibrations and maintenance performed; follows the laboratory's established policies and procedures whenever test systems are not within the laboratory's established acceptable levels of performance; is capable of identifying problems that may adversely affect test performance or reporting of test results and either must correct the problems or immediately notify the supervisor or director; documents all corrective actions taken when test systems deviate from the laboratory's established performance specifications. Primary duties include:
- Prepares and examines specimens using a variety of instruments, histologic and molecular diagnostic techniques.
- Sets up and works with laboratory equipment in order to test tissue, blood and blood parts for various indicators of clinical conditions.
- Reviews work of subordinate-level staff, providing technical oversight and ensuring quality results.
- Utilizes analysis software for QC monitoring, report interpretation and generation.
- Utilizes Laboratory Information Management System for tracking, documenting and reporting patient test results.
- Assists in the training and education of employees/students to explain and demonstrate testing procedures and standard operating procedures.
- Provides input to enhance standard operating procedures.
- Assists in the assignment and coordination of laboratory duties of staff.
- Maintains a safe and well-stocked work environment; validates reagents, instruments and procedures.
- Maintains established departmental policies and procedures, objectives, quality assurance programs, safety and compliance standards.
- Involved in relevant quality control and continuous quality improvement activities, the performance of calibration and maintenance procedures.
- Enhances professional growth and development by participating in educational programs, reading current literature and participating in in-service meetings and workshops.
- Prepares other written documentation as required by the profession and the department; maintains, distributes, analyzes and projects information for required records, reports and statistics as directed.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested.
The Medical Laboratory Scientist typically reports to the Clinical Laboratory Supervisor and Assistant Clinical Laboratory Supervisor. The incumbent has limited authority to make decisions or commitments directly related to the performance of the job. Authority to make decisions or commitments within the limits of company policies and procedures that are clearly specified. Decisions are varied and based on well-defined guidelines and practices.
To apply, please forward your resume to Jenna Murray, Operations Manager and Human Resource Coordinator at email@example.com
- NYS State licensed Clinical Laboratory Technologist (CLT) or eligible for NYS CLT molecular restricted license.
- BS in MT/CLS, or related fields.
- Must be familiar with a personal computer and the Laboratory Information Management System.
- Must have knowledge of molecular laboratory test procedures.
- Must demonstrate the ability to prioritize tests to be performed in emergency situations.
- Must possess a working knowledge of instrumentation/procedures and perform preventive maintenance and troubleshooting.
- Must have general knowledge of age-specific ranges/testing requirements and age-specific requirements for sample collection.
Applicants must reference the Posting # when applying for this position.
Interested applicants may apply by uploading a cover letter and resume below in Microsoft Word or PDF format.