Careers In Research
RPCI’s concentration on research is supported at every level, not only with the financial resources and facilities essential to discovery, but also by ensuring that faculty members have the research time they require. The opportunity to meet regularly with colleagues from other disciplines nurtures intellectual stimulation and suggests new ways of approaching difficult problems.
- Physician-scientists have protected research time.
- With the opening of our new, $74 million Center for Genetics and Pharmacology in 2006, RPCI has added a 170,000 square-foot facility housing state-of-the-art wet labs for biological and genetic research. The center will contribute significantly to our cancer genetics and pharmacogenetics programs.
- RPCI places great emphasis on translational research. The configuration of the campus and the close interaction between clinical and research staff facilitate the transfer of information between the clinical and laboratory settings.
- RPCI’s Center for Pharmacology and Therapeutics, a unique resource for faculty, is capable of taking drug development from the conceptual stage through clinical trials and FDA approval.
- RPCI’s Disease-Site Research Groups meet regularly, an indication of RPCI’s commitment to translational research. Surgical and medical oncologists, pathologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists, and the basic research faculty are free to let the ideas fly and create the collaborations needed to be competitive.