Prepares tissue for microscopic review; stains slides with special stains, including immunohistochemistry; maintains laboratory equipment and completes appropriate quality control records; maintains the laboratory in a clean fashion; performs routine histology tasks including paraffin specimen embedding, sectioning and staining (routine, tinctorial and immunohistochemistry); prepares surgical frozen sections as well as Moh’s sections; performs gross dissection limited to biopsies and uncomplicated surgical specimens; accessions and processes surgical and biopsy specimens; performs simple and complex laboratory test procedures in a timely manner as assigned; performs related laboratory technology duties; performs specialized tasks including special immunohistochemistry Ab evaluation and assisting MD faculty and fellows during post mortem autopsies.
Applicants must possess the following:
1. License to practice as a Certified Histological Technician, Clinical Laboratory Technician or Clinical Laboratory Technologist in the State of New York; or
2. Eligibility for licensure as a Certified Histological Technician, Clinical Laboratory Technician or Clinical Laboratory Technologist in the State of New York.
Education and Experience
1. Bachelor’s degree in Histological or Clinical Laboratory Technology and the equivalent of two (2) years of full-time Histology experience including the performance of immunohistochemistry, frozen section or grossing biopsy/surgical specimens; or
2. Bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and completion of a Histological Technician Certificate program recognized by New York State for licensure exam eligibility and the equivalent of two (2) years of full-time Histology experience including the performance of immunohistochemistry, frozen section or grossing biopsy/surgical specimens; or
3. Associate’s degree and the equivalent of four (4) years of full-time experience as a Pathology Assistant or Histotechnologist II at Roswell Park; or
4. High School Diploma or High School Equivalency Diploma and the equivalent of six (6) years of full-time experience as a Pathology Assistant or Histotechnologist II at Roswell Park.
1. Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree is not required for candidates already licensed in NYS.
2. As a condition of continued employment, incumbents must obtain and maintain the appropriate certification noted above within six (6) months of their appointment to this title.
3. Required degrees must have been granted by an accredited college or university or one recognized by Roswell Park Comprehensive Cancer Center as following acceptable educational practices.
The preferred candidate will have experience with Moh's sectioning and clinical Histology experience.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at email@example.com.