Pump Up the Refreshment in a Cancer-Fighting Pumpkin Banana Smoothie
As we approach the fall harvest traditions and holidays like Halloween and Thanksgiving, we thought we’d offer up a fun, delicious way to get a boost of vitamin A in a tasty, cool and refreshing treat: a pumpkin banana smoothie.
When most people think of pumpkins, they think of jack-o-lanterns and the Great Pumpkin. But pumpkins are packed with healthy nutrients including vitamin A, fiber, and powerful antioxidants like lutein. Lutein is a carotenoid that may inhibit cancer cell growth and enhance your immune response.
This smoothie also contains banana, which is a great source of dietary fiber, potassium, and vitamin B6. The yogurt and milk ingredients provide additional potassium, calcium, and protein.
So without further ado, here is a healthy recipe just in time for thirsty ghosts, goblins, and all your upcoming parties! Each serving of this luscious smoothie has 100% of your vitamin A for the day, plus all those other healthy nutrients mentioned above. Enjoy!
Pumpkin Banana Smoothie
Makes 2 Servings
- 1 small ripe banana, frozen
- 1/2 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 1/2 cup 0%-fat vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup canned 100% pure pumpkin
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Break the banana into a few pieces.
- Place in a blender with the milk, yogurt, pumpkin, honey, vanilla extract, and pumpkin pie spice.
- Blend until well combined.
- Place a few cubes of ice in two glasses.
- Pour the smoothie over ice, drizzle with honey as desired, and serve each with a straw.
Nutrition Information per Serving (1 cup): 130 calories, 1g fat (0g saturated, g omega-3), 55mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate, 3g fiber, 7g protein, 100% vitamin A, 15% calcium