Did you know that firefighters are often at high risk for lung cancer because of the nature of their work? The lung experts at Roswell Park have embarked on an effort to educate firefighters about their unique risk factors and how to be proactive in catching the disease early. Special lung-cancer risk factors for firefighters include exposure to aerosolized chemicals, including:
- Polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- Diesel exhaust
Risk level is even greater when these exposures are combined with the other risk factors for lung cancer:
- Smoking one pack a day for 20 years, or the equivalent. (Smoking combined with other factors can multiply your risk by 100 times.)
- Lung diseases like emphysema or chronic bronchitis
- Genetic predisposition and family history of lung cancer
- Previously treated lung, esophageal or head and neck cancer
Roswell Park has a unique Lung Cancer Screening Program meant specifically for those, like many firefighters, with known risk factors. The purpose of the clinic is to catch lung cancer early, when it is most curable.
Think you may be at high risk? Fill out our high-risk assessment form or call 1-877-ASK-RPCI (1-877-275-7724) to determine your eligibility for screening.