Cancer that has spread to a distant organ is called metastatic disease. With breast cancer, the most common sites for metastases are the lungs, liver and bone. We treat metastatic disease with a multidisciplinary team approach, calling on the best experts in breast cancer care. Many advances in treating metastatic disease are made everyday, and may offer many years of high-quality life. We offer several options for treating metastatic breast cancer and improving quality of life including:
- Clinical trials of the latest drugs and approaches such as immunotherapy.
- Gamma Knife radiosurgery to treat metastases to the brain
- Bone-strengthening treatments using agents such as zoledronic acid (Zometa)
- Endocrine or anti-estrogen therapy
- Radiation therapy to distant sites
- Supportive & palliative care to address ongoing symptoms and quality of life
- Rehabilitation medicine, including physical and occupational therapy